Fish Yawning?

avaladon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So my betta seems to yawn sometimes, does anyone know why? Is he just tired? is he stressed (dogs sometimes yawn when stressed)? is it something else? I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not

Triston Wasmund

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not quite sure what you mean by him yawning. What is he doing when he does it. I'm sure he is just doing something behavioral, as we yawn to exhale air and they don't really do it.

Mpwallace1

Reaction score
He’s bored. Wouldn’t you be because of bad behaviour you get sentenced to solitary confinement?

OP
avaladon

avaladon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Triston Wasmund said:
Not quite sure what you mean by him yawning. What is he doing when he does it. I'm sure he is just doing something behavioral, as we yawn to exhale air and they don't really do it.
its just when hes like resting maybe hes sitting on a leaf or something, and he opens his mouth wide and it sort of looks like hes yawning or something

SplendidBettas

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish do that too, I'd hope that I don't bore them to death haha

GlamCrab

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I saw mine yawn sometime after I opened the lights. I saw some videos of it too. Seems it just happens

Its kinda cute

OP
avaladon

avaladon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I thought I read somewhere that it was a sign of nitrate poisoning or poisoning in general but ive only heard that claI'm once so I'm guessing it might not be true

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's flushing his gills out. Nothing to worry about unless he does it excessively.

Mpwallace1 said:
He’s bored. Wouldn’t you be because of bad behaviour you get sentenced to solitary confinement?
What are you even talking about?

OP
avaladon

avaladon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BReefer97 said:
He's flushing his gills out. Nothing to worry about unless he does it excessively.
okay thank you!

Notivation

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is a frequently observed behavior in the wild and in captivity of many species of fish. While there is no definite answer as to why, the most widely accepted theory based off of the anatomy of a fish that it is sucking in water through its mouth and pushing it out of it's gills to expel any particles that are impacting their effectiveness. My betta "yawns" a lot when I'm moving around my plants, as there are a lot of large particles floating around.

New Threads