Fish yawning?

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just got a betta last week on Tuesday. Cycled with fish flakes. Tank had a wee bit of ammonia after the first day (not even up to 0.25) so did a water change. I did a water change today as Sunday shall be water change day. Both times my fish, Frazier, has yawned exactly once after I'm done. No other times as he yawned. I use 1 line in the cap of Prime that I use. Any idea as to why he is yawning after a water change? Here are a couple pics of him.

amdpayne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What a cutie! I saw my betta Liam yawn once after a water change. He was so chill about everything, lol. He seemed healthy otherwise, but I always wondered if it meant he needed more oxygen?

OP
jenmur

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
amdpayne said:
What a cutie! I saw my betta Liam yawn once after a water change. He was so chill about everything, lol. He seemed healthy otherwise, but I always wondered if it meant he needed more oxygen?
amdpayne...Thanks! Ok so Frazier isn't the only betta who's done this. He seems very healthy.

amdpayne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jenmur said:
amdpayne...Thanks! Ok so Frazier isn't the only betta who's done this. He seems very healthy.
For sure! They're goofy fish, lol. I think as long as he seems healthy otherwise, it's probably no problem.

OP
jenmur

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
amdpayne said:
For sure! They're goofy fish, lol. I think as long as he seems healthy otherwise, it's probably no problem.
amdpayne..it does seem that way. I love just watching him in his tank. Oh yeah he swims all around and eats like a piggy

amdpayne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jenmur said:
amdpayne..it does seem that way. I love just watching him in his tank. Oh yeah he swims all around and eats like a piggy
Sounds like a happy lad!

caspe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Frazier is absolutely lovely looking!!

Teishokue

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish don't yawn. They stretch muscles. Yawning is a mammalian action to reduce heart rate by decreasing breathing pattern

OP
jenmur

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
amdpayne...he seems happy. Just peeked at him and he's resting under his bridge. Hehe.

caspe...Thanks he's colored up good. I think he's getting more blue on his head not sure tho.

Teishokue...it looks like yawning and was the best way to describe what he was doing. I'm new to this stuff and just wanted to know what was going on.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is sure a gorgeous boy! My fish have a "muscle stretch" every once in a while, but it makes me giggle when I see them do it - even ones at the pet stores. It looks just like a yawn and that is what most people refer to it as.

OP
jenmur

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
He is sure a gorgeous boy! My fish have a "muscle stretch" every once in a while, but it makes me giggle when I see them do it - even ones at the pet stores. It looks just like a yawn and that is what most people refer to it as.
Mcasella...Thanks and he's so personable! He starting to like to face my phone straight on for some pics. I'll post one here. Ok good . This is the first time I've ever seen it but nice to know it's perfectly normal for them to do.

New Threads