20 Gallon Tank Fish won't eat flakes

Fish5234

I have a 20g tank with 7 bloodfin tetras, 3 dwarf rainbow fish and 6 cories. My tank is cycled and has been set up since April. Most of these fish have been with me since the beginning. As of last week, the tetras have stopped eating the flakes (they put them in their mouths and spit them out). I was using aqueon tropical flake but after reading some reviews on this site, I recently purchased omega one flakes hoping they would enjoy new flakes, however the same behavior is happening here. The tetras will eat at the shrimp pellets I put in the tank for the cories. I find it strange that one day they stopped eating the flakes all together. Has this happened to anyone else? Is the solution finding a different type of food they might enjoy?

Thanks

BigManAquatics

I kind of look at fish feeding like feeding kids. Sometimes it's not about what YOU want them to eat near as much as what THEY will eat.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Fish prefer different tastes (I think) and they probably got accustomed to the previous type you used. I'm sure after a few days of not eating they will gladly eat the new flakes. I also use Omega one flakes and my platies, swordtail, amano shrimp, and even the Bolivian ram when a few make it to the bottom enjoy those flakes.

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

I agree with Chris1212, after a few days of not eating they will probably eat the new flakes. When I switched my fish to a higher quality food they refused to eat for almost a week before eating the new food. Just give it a little while.

Upvote 0

Fish5234

Ok thank you. I’ll give it some more time. They randomly stopped eating the old flakes and this is what prompted me to get the new food in the first place .

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Chris1212
Replies
Views
LaurenGM
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics