Fish with small white mass trailing behind left eye.. Question

1. sailor7x Member Member

I have had 6 indian glass fish for about two months. 2 weeks ago I had to remove one because it was very aggressive as I had watched him hammer at fish until he killed one. No more of that type of trouble after removal.

Today I noticed the pink one swimming off kilter and even floating upside down momentarily once for a few seconds. Close observation yielded an external, dangling, small white mass behind his left eye. Not coming from the gills. It seems to be coming from the trailing edge of the eye socket itself.

Disease TUTU.jpg

The pink one is definitely lowest in the pecking order and gets pecked at a lot.
    He has been swimming fine mostly hiding as usual for the last few hours.

Is this a disease or the result of an injury?

Do I need to administer meds or will it heal? Quarantine?

Water chemistry has been good since cycling - Nitrites, Ammonia = 0

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It is most definately a disease because he is the weakest one there. He probably is also incredibly stressed from getting picked on so much. Though I have to ask what are your current water parameters. Are you sure this is not being caused by a water quality issue? If it is true that your nitrite is .25 that could be it. That is too high, it should be 0. Could you get me more information please.

3. sailor7x Member Member

Hi Wendy,

As stated in my original post water chem levels are 0 Nitrites and 0 Ammonia and have been for a few months.

After doing some research I have come to the following conclusion:

The whitish blob is a Fungal Spore which invaded damaged tissues on the fish.
    This Glass Fish is the smallest and gets picked on the most.

Theoretical Treatment Options:

Remove him and treat with meds in a "Hospital Tank"
    Introduce Fungal meds into the community tank
    Allow the fish to heal on its own

I don't have the room in my house for a "Hospital Tank" so I will get some fungal meds.