Fish With Sbd Not Getting Better

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by GiannaG, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:38 PM.

1. GiannaGNew MemberMember

I recently got my half moon betta. He’s in a one gallon tank. I had him for three days, now five, but I immediately noticed he has a bad case of SBD. I fasted him for 3 days. No result. I tried to give him the pea, he took an extremely small nibble after my efforts. I tried partial water changes as well. He had SBD when I got him, someone bought him while I wasn’t looking. He keeps getting worse. He floats and can’t go down. We’re going to try espom salt soon, but after that I don’t know.

Attached Files:

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Is his tank 78-82 degrees? Temp can some time contribute to the problem since it slows down digestion.

3. OP
    OP
    G

GiannaGNew MemberMember

I believe it’s 73.

4. david1978

That could be the problem as with tank size as well. Minimum for a betta is 2.5 gallons but most keepers prefer 5 gallons or larger. That way temp and water quality can be maintained and have a filter and heater. In a 1 gallon you need to do water changes every day or 2 to keep toxins such as ammonia down. They make little heaters but I have never tried one in such a small tank.

5. OP
    OP
    G

GiannaGNew MemberMember

Maybe. I was planning on buying a bigger tank. I’ve only had the fish for a short time, but I do water changes more often than you would with a bigger tank. He doesn’t seem to care when I do it, and though I’ve taken care of a healthy betta for 5 years and still have him, I’ve never had issues maintaining that tank when it was that size as well. I moved the new guy to a hospital tank. It’s easier on him now, but he looks awful - his color hasn’t dimmed.

6. david1978

An Epsom salt bath would be a good idea. Its a laxative and helps draw out extra fluid. Personally I feel temperature means a lot for them. Low temperature and bloating seems to go hand in hand as well as lethargy and loss of appetite.

7. OP
    OP
    G

GiannaGNew MemberMember

I’m going to get a heater and give him the bath and see if that helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice