Fish With Sbd Not Getting Better

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by GiannaG, Jan 11, 2019.

1. GiannaGNew MemberMember

I recently got my half moon betta. He’s in a one gallon tank. I had him for three days, now five, but I immediately noticed he has a bad case of SBD. I fasted him for 3 days. No result. I tried to give him the pea, he took an extremely small nibble after my efforts. I tried partial water changes as well. He had SBD when I got him, someone bought him while I wasn’t looking. He keeps getting worse. He floats and can’t go down. We’re going to try espom salt soon, but after that I don’t know.

Attached Files:

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Is his tank 78-82 degrees? Temp can some time contribute to the problem since it slows down digestion.

3. GiannaGNew MemberMember

I believe it’s 73.

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

That could be the problem as with tank size as well. Minimum for a betta is 2.5 gallons but most keepers prefer 5 gallons or larger. That way temp and water quality can be maintained and have a filter and heater. In a 1 gallon you need to do water changes every day or 2 to keep toxins such as ammonia down. They make little heaters but I have never tried one in such a small tank.

5. GiannaGNew MemberMember

Maybe. I was planning on buying a bigger tank. I’ve only had the fish for a short time, but I do water changes more often than you would with a bigger tank. He doesn’t seem to care when I do it, and though I’ve taken care of a healthy betta for 5 years and still have him, I’ve never had issues maintaining that tank when it was that size as well. I moved the new guy to a hospital tank. It’s easier on him now, but he looks awful - his color hasn’t dimmed.

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

An Epsom salt bath would be a good idea. Its a laxative and helps draw out extra fluid. Personally I feel temperature means a lot for them. Low temperature and bloating seems to go hand in hand as well as lethargy and loss of appetite.

7. GiannaGNew MemberMember

I’m going to get a heater and give him the bath and see if that helps.