Fish with red stringy poop.....normal or ill?

Blk69

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Been trying to improve my aquarium. Getting a test kit today to check water quality. 75 gal tank has 10 adult guppies and 20 fry. Typically lose a guppy a week. At first was losing them to some weird disease that caused from the middle of their body back color to lighten and what appeared to paralyzed. Removed my under gravel filter and not had since,

Now my fish will be fine and than within 12 hours just drop dead. Someone told me red stringy poop was a sign of a parasite? Not sure, fish are fed tropical flakes. What do you think?

KarenLM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Make sure you get a liquid test kit not the strips - latter are very unreliable.

Once you have tested your water, you'll know better where to go from here.

Do you still have filtration and how old is the tank set-up?

OP
B

Blk69

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water test kit. PH 8.2, Ammonia 0, NO2 0, NO3 0. gravel substrate. Pond style self contained filter. Here a pic

removed

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the test results it sounds like your tank is not cycled. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Alison ..If not then click on the words Nitrogen cycle to read the info. In a cycled tank you want Ammonia 0, nitite 0 and nitrates under 20 unless your tank is very heavily planted which yours does not appear to be. .. Alison

OP
B

Blk69

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank has been set up for 4 years. I did remove the under gravel filter 3 weeks ago, but didn't touch my filter.

KarenLM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are the guppies up to four years old as well?

If so they may be dying from old age. Their lifespan in captivity is about 3 years.

Matt68046

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You may have to try several diffrent meds when they get internal problems like this. I use fenenbazole dewormer from angelsplus.com Ive been told by some guppy greats that the far most common internal problems in guppies are CallapraI and Callamunus nematodes.
Not saying it couldnt be bacteria or another parasite, but if you order the fenenbazole you mine as well order kanamycin or Oxytetracycline flake too because your paying shipping and you have to have a minimun 10 dollar order. I would try to deworm them first, then wait a few days and if they still present problems, use the antibiotic feed.
Seems to be a lot of people having problems with internal parasites in guppies lately.

OP
B

Blk69

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, will give the meds a try.

Guppies are less than two months old.

Matt68046

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do you have a video of them? That might help. When you say "the middle of their back to lighten" you are scaring me because that's sounds like NTD which is tetrahyemena and is unstoppable.

Doent look like this does it?

New Threads