Fish with personality for 20 gal tank

Sofiafish17
Hi everyone,
My title is pretty self explanatory lol. I am looking for a centerpiece fish for a 20 gallon tank, that will get along with some schooling tetras and Oto cats and is suitable for a hobbyist with only about 2 years of experience. I’m just trying to gather some ideas. I really want a fish that has personality and is interactive, as much as a fish is interactive lol. Something that will swim to the front when I walk into the room I mean. I know tons of people are going to say betta, but I am looking to try something new. Thanks for any ideas!

Edit* I am interested in African Dwarf Frogs, does anyone know if they are “friendly” and interactive?

SouthAmericanCichlids
Uhm...Betta lol. But for real appistos would probably work or paradise fish, many people say paradise fish are the most personable fish they've ever kept, and they can be in both cold and tropical water. ADF hide mostly for me, I thought mine was dead for like 2 years, until I took the tank apart to move it and found a corpse in a hollow stone.

GuppyGal7
A group of honey gouramis would be gorgeous. They're the most peaceful things ever. A betta might also work but it's more risky.

Skrabbitskrabbit
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Uhm...Betta lol. But for real appistos would probably work or paradise fish, many people say paradise fish are the most personable fish they've ever kept, and they can be in both cold and tropical water. ADF hide mostly for me, I thought mine was dead for like 2 years, until I took the tank apart to move it and found a corpse in a hollow stone.
I second paradise fish. I just lost mine :( she jumped out one night while we were asleep. BUT she was the coolest fish, always came to greet me, following me around and my kids too.

Sofiafish17
How sensitive are they/ what parameters for them? :)

Leeman75
Aquashrimp42
Multifasciatus might not come to greet you but you will see some of the most interesting behavior of fish in aquariums. A small group would work in a 20 tall but you could get a colony going in a 20 long.

TClare
I second Apistogramma, also Laetacara, in my experience both of these have a lot of character. and come up to the glass when anyone goes near. Both are good with tetras and otos. While the apistos will sometimes display at you if you have a close look, the Laetacaras usually come to beg for food...If you choose one of these I would only get one individual if you want a peaceful tank.

Skrabbitskrabbit
Sofiafish17 said:
How sensitive are they/ what parameters for them? :)
If you click on the link in SouthAmericanCichlids post (or any of the words that attach to a hyperlink), it will take you to the care sheet. They are pretty easy fish that you can keep in the mid 70s to low 80s
Edit: a paradise fish

alven
I vote some Honey Gourami.

Top Bottom