Fish with no eyes

1. Bishop

Bishop New Member Member

Hi everyone! So we have this fish, now he has been like this for about a year now. His name is mark. But one I day go into my room and look at my fish and there he is with no eyes. :| I don't think my other fish pecked his eyes out, as they are not prone to that sort of thing. Odd, I know. He is doing great, but he is really thin, he eats well, and has this white stuff on him. Now that white stuff might be a parasite (I know my tank has camallanus worms and ich) but it's not contagious because none of my other fish have it. I think it's genetic. So if you guys have any ideas that would be great!! Thanks.

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Do you have a picture of him?

3. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like some sort of bacterial illness... Although i have a fish with one eye! Did he loose his eyes when he got the white stuff on him?

Could we possibly have a picture?

4. OP
    OP
    Bishop

Bishop New Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406835049.842322.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406835077.135948.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406835096.609486.jpg
    Sorry they aren't the best:(. He is the black male molly. I know they have ick and I'm hooping when I treat the tank for camallanus worm it will treat it for that to! And I will probably raise the temp, how should I do that with newborn fry in the tank? I've already added salt. But back to Mark, he seems to not be in pain and he seems happy. Today he managed to get his head stuck in between the floating breeder with the fry and the glass. He made me laugh....:) he doesn't breed ether. I have four females in the tank.... Thanks for the input and may God bless you!:) :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Micaela13

Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Idk exactly what it is but it doesn't look good. :( poor guy. endlercollector this isn't TB is it? I just want to rule it out because I know you have more experience with it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I'm so sorry, but this looks like a very advanced case of mycobacterial infection.
    Here's a link that describes a similar situation in some guppies (see p. 71, bottom right):

http://vri.cz/docs/vetmed/48-3-71.pdf

7. OP
    OP
    Bishop

Bishop New Member Member

Really? I didn't know it was that series.. But he doesn't have a curved spine... He might have a little loss of color and no eyes... But beyond that he doesn't have anything else I don't think. Is there something similar? But he seems happy. So that's good. Thanks for your reply!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

from the pictures it does look as though he has a fairly large bend at the top of his back. I dont know whether this is part of the bacterial infection but i wouldn't think its normal for the fish anyway.

I believe euthanasia may be the way forward, i certainly would im afraid :/

9. endlercollector

His spine is out of whack--see how the top of his outline has a severe bend to it and the line of the belly to the tail is nearly straight.

This is very serious and potentially contagious to people. There are many kinds of mycobacteria, not just TB. It would be best to euthanize this guy to minimize the chance of more cases of full-blown infection in the tank. If he dies on his own, and his remains get nibbled on, those fish who eat him will have problems. Assume that everyone in the tank us now a carrier. Since you already have camallanus in there, you probably already are using gloves and extreme caution.

He has managed to live quite a while with the disease, and your others could last for yours if you can stay on top of the water parameters. So it's not the end for your tank--you just now know about the mycobacteria. I have been blogging alot about this lately.

10. OP
    OP
    Bishop

Bishop New Member Member

We'll just get him his own little tank. I certainty don't want any other fish to get this. Thank you for all your input. I had no idea it was this. I'm not going to put him to sleep, but just let him live the rest of his life out. And is it most likely tb? Thank you again, have a blessed day.

11. endlercollector

Yes, he has TB. These symptoms can be caused by several different mycobacteria. He is happy because you love him so much. ;)