Fish with ich maybe??!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by newfiesun, May 8, 2006.

1. newfiesun

newfiesunNew MemberMember

Hi i'm new to this site! I am having trouble with my fish They have ich i think. I noticed little white spots on a few of my fish and have had trouble with this in the past so i already had the treatment on hend (the fish i had recently -about a month ago -used it on have died) Anyway i decided to start treating them. I put in the stuff twice and the other fish have no spots except the 4 black neon tetras they are still covered. Help i don't know much about fish and would li9ke to hear some suggestions on what to be doing. Doing some research and i'm getting very confused! :eek:

2. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

One thing that helps is turning the temp up to 85'F. Leave it there for 14 days. The high temp will kill the ich. Make sure to turn it up very slowly.

3. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Thanks! I did increase my temp already it's now at 83 F should soon have it to 85 F i guess. Just wondering how long i should continue the treatment. I have my 4 black neon tetras taken out and put in a small glass bowl (hopefully they will survive the colder temp) because they were the worst. The others don't seem to have any more white spots. I gave them 2 treatments so far and wondering if i should continue or not. I am using Sera Costapur and i have a 36 gallon tank. What do you suggest?

4. MaryPa

MaryPaNew MemberMember

If you turn the heat up to 85 be sure to run an airstone to oxgenate the water. If you don`t the fish will gasp for air.

5. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Run an airstone?? Sorry but i am very new to this fish stuff and have no idea what you are talking about. Please help me i have no idea what i am doing!!! I always wanted a fish tank but never got one then a few months ago a friend of mine decided to get rid of their tank so they gave it to me as a gift. So like i said i have no idea what i am doing. I love having the fish and don't want to loose them!! I have a Whisper filter system and there is no air hose thing on it. There was on the old one i had should there be one on this?

6. MaryPa

MaryPaNew MemberMember

It`s a blue stone that you attach to an air pump with plastic tubbing. Here`s one example>>

7. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

14 days is the minimum amount of time you can leave the temperature at this level if you want to kill the parasite. Otherwise they just transfer to the other fish in the tank.

Yes, an airstone will help as the hotter the water becomes the less oxygen it can hold.

Rose
    :)

8. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Thanks! I have a small airstone running now and i have finished giving the fish treatment for ich. They still seem to have it not bad though. I gave them treatment for 7 days. Now i have switched treatment and i am now giving them Quick Cure for ich and other parsites. I have given them 2 treatments so far. Now when i finish this treatment should i lower the temp in the tqank again and should i clean everything in the tank? Like boil the gravel from the tank and the other things i have in the tank or what? I still don't understand why my fish got ich. I did put a little cave thing in for my red tailed shark and 2 new fish so i guess that's where it came from?? Anyway can someone tell me how long to do the treatment that i am using now and how to clean the tank after i'm finished? Appreciate any suggestions

9. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Do not lower the temperature for at least 14 days. The parasite is still in the water and will not die for 14 days at 85 degrees. If you turn the temperature down before then, the parasite will settle back on your fish and reinfect them. If the temperature is at 85 they will stay in the water where the medicine can work on them. The fish that still have the Ich spots will probably be better by the time the 14 days are over. Ich is a cool water disease. Is the temperature of your tank high enough? Most Tropical Fish like at least 76 degrees and many are happier at 78 degrees. I don't think you have to take the whole tank apart. I never have. If you follow the treatment with the raised temperatures and Quick Cure you should be okay. The bacteria and parasites for Ich, Velvet, Fin Rot, Dropsy, and many other really horrible fish diseases are present in all fish tanks. It takes some special set of circumstances (cool water, poor water quality, introduction of another fish, filter malfunction, etc.) to bring them to the forefront and cause a disease. Bottom Line: Sometimes these things just happen. Make sure your water parameters are okay and try to keep up regular water changes and gravel vacuuming. Don't overfeed your fish. The rest should take care of itself. Don't beat yourself up trying to figure out What Caused This? Just enjoy your little buddies.

Rose
    :D

10. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Thanks again. I usually have my tank temp at 80 F but i have had it at 85 for at least a week now. And i do a 20% water cahnge every 2 weeks. I also check the ph level and amonia once a week and it all seems to be ok. Hopefully they will be cured after all these treatments! :eek: Thanks again. I enjoy my little guys every day :)

11. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

My fish seem to have the ich cured but one of my Peral Gouramis is turning very brown around the front anyone know what this is. he's still eating and my ph is around 7.6 and amonia 0.

12. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Here are a few pics of the pearl gouramis i'm talking about. Not that good but it's all i could get.

Attached Files:

13. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Looks like he's coming into breeding colors.
    Carol

14. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Do you mean that it's going to breed with the other one i got? How do you tell if they are male or female? How do i tell if they are breeding and what do i do if they are? Sorry full of questions! :-[

15. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

I am happy to say that my fish are ich free!! ;D Hopefully it will not return.

16. jim55379

jim55379Valued MemberMember

You are a lucky person newfiesen. I have lost every time to ick. tried different medications temps ect but lost about 5 or 6 tanks. I finally retired from my pictus cats and irradant sharks which both seemed prone to getting ick. Now I have a much tougher safer breed that are doing fine for quite a few months now. Tiger barbs and a zebra and an orange Danio.

17. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Hi my fish don't have ich anymore and they have been ich free for a almost 2 weeks but i have lost 2 fish today(1 algae eater and a roloff kribinsis) and one a few days ago (angel fish) i don't know why could it be from the ich? Don't understand why they are dying. My gouramis are not moving around much anymore but they are still eating. Anyone know what's going on? :-\

18. jim55379

jim55379Valued MemberMember

I had an algae eater once and it died too. I forget the name plothezsomusthis or something like that. That's strange your other fish are dying. I do a partial change every 2 weeks. Did you? Is your heat set at around 78 degrees? Hmm??? Do you have enough oxyegen like a bubble stick with an air pump? If all these conditions are good your water must be high in ammonia or nitrates. ???

19. OP
    OP
    newfiesun

Yes i do a partial water change every week. And my amonia is 0 and my ph level is around 7.5. I have 2 pearl gouramis, 1 orange and black platy, 1 roloff kribensis, 1 tetra, 1 angel fish and 1 red tailed shark. My heat is now set to 82 - 83 i am still lowering it to 80 which is what i used to have it set at until i raised it to 85 to help with the ich. i'm stumped. I had an air stone running up until 4 or 5 days ago when i started lowering my temp. I just turned it on again just in case they still need it. Are you as stumped as i am? ??? Any suggestions as to what is going on are certainly welcome!

20. SunnShadow

SunnShadowValued MemberMember

Perhaps you took the airstone out too soon?? I'd keep it in there at least until you have the temp back down to normal. Even then you may want to consider keeping it in permanently, or getting a bubble "wand" that's about the same length as your tank. I was having the same trouble as you are, but when I added the bubble wand my fish improved 100%. I don't remember them being this happy and healthy before! Not only do the bubble add oxygen to the water, but my fish actually enjoy swimming around in them!

S.