Fish With Bulging Eye

TarielBlu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If only one of your fish has a bulging eye it could be an injury. Keeping the water clean and the tank stress free is important to keep the eye uninfected. If it is popeye or some other illness than treat the fish in a seperate tank to prevent the spread of the illness

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would get the fish in a hospital tank/bin with Epsom Salts to help relieve the fluid buildup. If you have any Methylene blue, I'd dose that for a week. Daily 30% water changes.

It could be due to an injury, especially if you haven't added anything new in a bit. So not a contagious thing and why I would not treat the whole tank and keep the injured fish safe from other tankmates until it heals.

My EB ram got a popped eye from an injury. I didn't use mblue all the time (only dips) and I lost her. If I ever run into that again, I'll take it more seriously and keep mblue in the tank as a bath.

Celestialpearl

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple Cory cats get pop eye. Epsom salt always treated it.

Pop eye can happen as result of bacterial issues from a dirty tank. If this is your only fish that has issues he probably bumped up against something.

I usually do a salt dip. I think I use 4 tsp per gallon and leave the fish for 10ish min. I can’t remember the exact amount. I have a couple pre-measured condiment containers with salt on the ready. I’ve never had to treat more than twice doing it this way as it seems to resolve fairly fast. I spread dips out every 8-12hrs so I can try and minimize stress on the fishes system but still provide effective treatment.

IMO meth blue probably won’t really help unless there are some obvious fungal issues going on. You can do both at the same time if you have it on hand but it isn’t necessary. The salt dip will be more benefit of the two since the salt will help draw the excess fluid from the eye.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My experience with popeye is it is like dropsy ..You have to imagine how bad the internal damage is that we clearly notice it from the outside ...
Even in mild cases I seemed to cure the fish eventually passed within months usually from a re infection again.
Hope it goes better for you .

CichlidTai

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can treat the whole tank and it’s actually beneficial for even the ones that aren’t sick,From what I understand it’s basically tea tree oil. So long as it is Melafix .. not to be confused with that other one that can kill your fish .. I forget what one that was

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO meth blue probably won’t really help unless there are some obvious fungal issues going on. You can do both at the same time if you have it on hand but it isn’t necessary. The salt dip will be more benefit of the two since the salt will help draw the excess fluid from the eye.
Meth blue is a treatment for methemoglobinemia and helps transport oxygen to the gills. So you don't have to worry about cycling a tank/tub either. It also is an antiseptic, and aids tissue healing. It treats bacterial as well as fungal infections. For now it's more of a preventative for bacteria and help induce healing with it's oxidating effects.

Anyway, good luck!

Monee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used melifex. It’s almost back to normal. He is acting normal too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom