Fish with broken back? 29 Gallon Tank

1. LilMan Member Member

Hello everyone, Merry Christmas!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is wrong with my fish and what I need to do, it is a female swordtail. One day I looked in the tank and the fish looked like this, it swims and eats but I am worried about it.

If you need more info just ask

:;thx

306.jpg
    307.jpg
    308.jpg

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww poor thing..im sorry
    if the fish was normal when you got it, id say it could maybe be tuberculosis or scoliosis? if you google search those for fish , you will see some of the causes..otherwise, id say maybe genetics?(but you said it just appeared one day)

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I had a molly like that, she got stuck inbetween the glass and a breeder net. I moved the box to get her free but I accidentally got her tail stuck and she jerked real hard and her back broken. She died a couple days later

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If I'm not mistaken, an inadequate diet or poor nutrition can cause this also.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

thats the biggest cause for scoliosis :(

6. LilMan Member Member

I feel bad now, I feed them but I thought I was feeding too much so I cut back a little...

That one is eating normally when feeding time is but she has some white stuff where the bend is, I have been watching them since I discovered this and they appeared normal but now I see one of my GloFish laying on the bottom not eating. Any ideas which one it might be?

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

dont feel bad..its all a learning process..and you dont even know whats exactly wrong yet...we are just suggesting some issues...
    what are your readings for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates right now?
    cutting back on food wont hurt them..but the types of food can..what are you feeding them?

8. LilMan Member Member

Readings: 0,0,0

Aqueon flakes and sinking wafers for the cories

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

can you post the lot numbers on your test kit bottles?
    and did you really bang that #2 bottle of the nitrates, on a hard surface to mix up the crystals? because you should NOT have a 0 reading for nitrates in a cycled tank

10. LilMan Member Member

Every bottle?

Yes, I asked you about that when I started my tank and you told me it was because of my plants... ill test it again.

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

well your info says you have 0 live plants so i guess i read it wrong LOL..typical of me!!
    maybe put the words "I have" in front of 0( live plants?) sorry ;D can you refresh me about what plants?

and just the ammonia/nitrites bottles..just want to be sure they arent expired and you arent getting false readings thats all...

12. LilMan Member Member

K, lol I have a a java fern and multiple small parts that grew off it. 5 types of Anubias and some valsnaria.

A1- 83A0209
    A2- 84A0109
    NI- 26A0109
    Nitrate1- 17A1108
    Nitrate2- 18B0109

Why do I have the feeling that the last 4 of those numbers is the date... and their expired...No wonder....

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

nope they arent expired..those are the dates they were manufactured (thanks again dozey!!!!!!) and they are suppose to be good for 3 years from those dates....I get a new one each year tho as im paranoid LOL

so at this point, it could be the diet or genetics....maybe try varying the diet a bit more....some frozen thawed blood worms, frozen thawed brine shrimp, spirulina, daphnia and soak all their food in fresh garlic juice might help some...