Fish Wish List 40 Gallon Tank

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have a 40 Tall planted tank. Running an API Super Clean 50 HOB. I would like 1 Black Veil Angelfish, 2 GBR, 1 or 2 Honey Gouramis, 8-10 Harliquin Rasbora, 4-6 Corie & 2 or more Otocincui & Ghost Shrimp. What do you think?

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

One note about otos -- They really do need to be in groups of 3 or more, and considering how fragile they are (*not* having a bunch die on you immediately is uncommon), you might want to just get 6. I consider them irrelevant to a tank's overall stocking levels, anyway. Make sure you get tank raised, though.

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

What do you mean tank raised?

4. Karlie Initiate Member

I think he means make sure they aren't wild caught :confused:..
    I would also feed the Oto's the Algae wafers BEFORE putting them in your tank (like when they are in quarantine - just make sure they are alone). I had made the mistake of putting mine in with my Gourami's before making sure they all ate and ended up losing a few because they didn't have enough to eat :(. The Gourami's ate the algae wafers*. When your LFS gets them in about 99% these guys are practically starving.
    Personally I would not mix the Gourami and Angel together. Angels can be very aggressive and a Gourami can be very territorial. My Flame Gourami's (all 3 males) will chase other fish when another fish goes near their cave. They have never injured each other though. The Honeys are supposed to be sweeter than Flames (from what I was told) but I have never had any problems with mine :)
    I would get AT LEAST 10-12 Harlequin Rasboras. I have 15.

5. Fishguy18 Initiate Member

Maybe even a plecostomus?

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

A single angel becomes a very lonely fish, imo. Considering the rest of your stock list, I would scrap that idea. Gouramis should be ok, your tank is planted and should already have hiding spaces. 10 Rasboras absolutely fine. 6 cories would be best. I'd go with 5 otos so they are happy and provide them with additional waffers as was said.

7. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I wanted a centerpiece fish that's why I wanted the angel I don't think I have enough room for two of them

8. Karlie Initiate Member

The Gourami will be a perfect centerpiece. Once it gets comfortable it will roam the tank and be center of attention.

9. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

1 or 2 Honey Gourami?

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

rainbow sharks make interesting center piece fish, imo. If you have sufficient territories, one might be appropriate.

11. Karlie Initiate Member

It really depends on your tank to be honest. My 3 male Gourami's get along really well with one another because they have their own cave and have no female to get aggressive over. If you are doing only Gourami's and no GBR then I think you could get away with 2. You would need to watch them for aggression and also add at least two cave structures on opposite sides of the tank to allow them to claim each one for themselves. Honeys are supposed to be even less aggressive then the Flame Gourami so I honestly believe you won't have any issues if you set your tank up just right.
    Also, the Harlequins are fast eaters so be sure your Gourami gets enough food :) I will typically put some by my bubbler to push it more in the middle level so my Gourami's never compete with all the Harlequins (mine like to eat at the top and mid level) for food.

12. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Not a common one or plain ol plecostomus unless you're okay with rehoming it when it outgrows the tank and getting another tiny one.

13. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately this Tank came with a regular Placostamus but he's small.

14. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I really just wanted angels and rams with some small schooling Fish.

15. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I really wanted to do angel's and GBR with some small schooling fish but found I couldn't have that many angels so I decided on one angel two rams and one or two honey Gouramis since everything I read said they get along with angels very well

16. fishingdeep Member Member

Maybe add more angels since they are a schooling fish and the aggression will go down since 1 angel is never a good thing. What can you remove from the list that you posted? Thanks

17. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

So I could have how many Angels? 2? Then 2 GBR I could get rid of the Honey Gouramis. Then I'd still have 10 Rasbora, 6 Cory's, 5 Otocincui & Ghost Shrimp. The numbers are per everyone's suggestions.

18. fishingdeep Member Member

Really depends on the size of the fish that you are adding. Your filters need to process the load they produce. What size are you thinking about for the angels?

19. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Young or small Black Vail Angelfish. Also small GBR

20. fishingdeep Member Member

I don't understand young or small so just buy a bigger tank since the angels will need the room to grow out and the GBRs' will still be happy!