Fish W/ Pine Cone?

bloomire

I finally got the water parameters in my quarantine tank under control, so I'm going to be transfering a couple fish with fungus conditions (I have a breeding problem in my platy tank, so that's why I have so many sick )
I was wondering if I could possibly help my platy fish with pine cone. I haven't dealt with this type of disease before, but I read that it's pretty rare to save them. Should I even bother quarantining her or just leave her in the tank?

Aquaphobia

I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to add a pinecone to the tank! I take it your fish are currently pineconing? Are they bloated? You might try an epsom salts bath.

What's the breeding problem you're having in your Platy tank?

bloomire

I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to add a pinecone to the tank! I take it your fish are currently pineconing? Are they bloated? You might try an epsom salts bath.

What's the breeding problem you're having in your Platy tank?
Sorry, I wasn't sure exactly how to refer to the disease. I have one female platy who is pineconing and bloated, but it doesn't look like she is pregnant. How can I do an epsom bath and would I need to do it immediately?
I didn't know when I got platies that they could breed so easily, so I've been having trouble keeping up with water parameters because there are so many fish. That's why I've been having problems with fish diseases lately. I'm planning on separating the males and females into different tanks once a tank finishes cycling, which I am hoping will solve the overcrowding issue.

Aquaphobia

What are your parameters? How much water do you change and how often do you change it?

bloomire

What are your parameters? How much water do you change and how often do you change it?
On January 5th they were:
Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrites- 0.5
Nitrates- 80
I usually do 25% once a week, but since I checked the water at the end of December I've been doing 10% every other day.

Aquaphobia

Start doing 50% every other day. 80 nitrates is high and the fact that you have nitrites and ammonia tells me that you're either not fully cycled or that you don't have enough media for the amount of bacteria you need.

Do you rinse your media? How?

bloomire

Start doing 50% every other day. 80 nitrates is high and the fact that you have nitrites and ammonia tells me that you're either not fully cycled or that you don't have enough media for the amount of bacteria you need.

Do you rinse your media? How?
I have 2 filters in my tank, a 20 gal and a 10 gal one. I usually replace the filter media in each every week, but if there's less waste then I'll go 2 weeks without replacing them. It's definitely not because my tank isn't cycled, since it's been established for 2 years, but most likely the overcrowding and excessive waste. I'll start doing 50% every other day then.

Aquaphobia

Do you know the actual gallon-per-hour rating for each of them?

Whitewolf

Fungus does not kill a living fish. But bacteria will. You should get an antibiotic.

Jamieson22

I usually replace the filter media in each every week, but if there's less waste then I'll go 2 weeks without replacing them.

Do you literally replace the media with new media each week? The media is what contains all your beneficial bacteria and should rarely be replaced. Simply rinse in old tank water to clean off debris and put back in filter.

CindiL

Hi, usually once a fish pine cones the odds of saving it are slI'm but worth trying if you want to. I always try and save them though it rarely works once they're to that stage. The first thing you can do is an epsom salt bath once or twice a day. Take a gallon of tank water with heater and put in a dissolved tablespoon of epsom salt. Put him in there for 30 minutes. Check him at 15 minutes to make sure he is ok and if he seems ok then leave him for another 15 or so.

The best cure for dropsy if he is eating would be antibiotic food. Kanamycin food is good to have on hand. You can also dose the water column with Metroplex or API General Cure.
This recommendation is based on him having an internal infection but its possible with your water parameters it was due to nitrite or ammonia poisoning that has weakened his system. Drop is a sign that the kidneys are failing.

Here is a link to kanamycin flakes:

bloomire

Hi, usually once a fish pine cones the odds of saving it are slI'm but worth trying if you want to. I always try and save them though it rarely works once they're to that stage. The first thing you can do is an epsom salt bath once or twice a day. Take a gallon of tank water with heater and put in a dissolved tablespoon of epsom salt. Put him in there for 30 minutes. Check him at 15 minutes to make sure he is ok and if he seems ok then leave him for another 15 or so.

The best cure for dropsy if he is eating would be antibiotic food. Kanamycin food is good to have on hand. You can also dose the water column with Metroplex or API General Cure.
This recommendation is based on him having an internal infection but its possible with your water parameters it was due to nitrite or ammonia poisoning that has weakened his system. Drop is a sign that the kidneys are failing.

Here is a link to kanamycin flakes:
Sadly I found the fish dead this morning, but I will definitely go back to this information if I end up dealing with pineconing again. Thanks for the help!

bloomire

Do you literally replace the media with new media each week? The media is what contains all your beneficial bacteria and should rarely be replaced. Simply rinse in old tank water to clean off debris and put back in filter.
They're filter cartridges, so I'm not sure exactly how I could clean them. Maybe I'll try rinsing them then.

CindiL

You just rinse them in old tank water weekly until they're falling apart. At that point you cut the floss off of the frame, dump the carbon and tuck the floss in with a new cartridge for about a week. This seeds the new cartridge with the right bacteria and keeps your cycle intact.

Sorry you lost him.

bloomire

You just rinse them in old tank water weekly until they're falling apart. At that point you cut the floss off of the frame, dump the carbon and tuck the floss in with a new cartridge for about a week. This seeds the new cartridge with the right bacteria and keeps your cycle intact.

Sorry you lost him.
That's good to know. I've been wasting a lot of money on cartridges, so maybe this can help with that. Thanks for all of the help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DioAquatics
Replies
Views
CheshireKat
Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views