Fish vs Shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marinedude17422, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Marinedude17422New MemberMember

I have a 5g with a 10g filter and heater which is full of cholla wood and Java moss. I would like to put in RCS but if they aren't available what fish would be good for this tank? Livebearers or what? If I did fish they would have to be compatible with a betta. Thanks guys!

2. Et tuValued MemberMember

If you want to continue to keep the betta in that tank, then you need to put out the no vacancy sign.;)

3. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

A nerite snail would probably be best. Shrimp maybe eaten by the betta. And it's too small for another fish. Betta are best left solo anyway.

4. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Better safe than sorry with a betta in the community. A lone betta in a 5 would be very happy, esp. with live plants. If you want a tankmate a snail is the way to go.

5. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I have heard of people successfully keeping RCS with their betta, but it is much safer if you have live plants which will offer the shrimp necessary cover from the betta.

As for compatible fish species, in a tank that small I wouldn't suggest adding any other fish. Betta fish do not do well in community tanks and the few rare exceptions I have seen involve much larger tanks.

I would either add a small amount of RCS and provide plenty of hiding places, or add a few snails.

Good luck! :)

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Agreed with TanksbyTim, 100%. I would just get a nerite snail.

7. JswinWell Known MemberMember

I had ghost shrimp with my betta for a while. The betta didn't kill them they died of "old age". They don't have the longest life expectancy anyways. But ghost shrimp are bigger than rcs. If I can ever get my rcs to start breeding I may try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Suggest since you already have a filter and heater for a 10 gallon to upgrade. Pets mart is having some good sales now, maybe the right time for a larger tank.

9. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I'd say the betta stays alone unless you want dead fishies

10. fbnWell Known MemberMember

If you upgrade to a ten gallon, you could try some bottom feeders, such as corydoras. Be prepared with a backup plan if things go wrong, though. It simply depends on the betta's temperament.

11. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Should be minimum of 20 gallons for cories because they need to be in a school of at least six. Even then, it's a bad idea to put the betta in with them. Like others have said, I believe bettas should be alone in their own tank.

12. fbnWell Known MemberMember

There are dwarf corydoras, which, in my opinion, would be completely fine in a 10 gallon tank.

13. ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

A school of corys in a 10G with a betta is just a recipe for disaster, even if the betta is as docile as can be. Just not enough room for the corys.

14. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

I agree with ClearEyes. Seriously, if there is a chance that a fish could wind up getting hurt/killed/stressed to death, just don't do it!! I know the feeling of looking into your tank and going, "It looks so EMPTY!!" Well, if you want a full tank, you should've gotten peaceful fish like guppies, platies, endlers, neon tetras, etc. Hate to sound rude but no one should be selfish enough to risk multiple fish's lives by putting them with a carnivorous betta while knowing the risks.

Maybe I sound dramatic but that's just my opinion :)

15. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well, there are people that do something out of ignorance and don't know the consequences and then there are those that are fully aware of the consequences and choose to do something anyway.

16. ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

Based on my limited experience, the smaller tank you have, the more likely you're going to think "It looks so EMPTY!!" when you're at capacity, due to the stocking limitations. That's a hard lesson I've had to learn. You can have maybe 4-5 guppies. Or 2 platies. Or 5 endlers. But not all together, that's too much.

Neon tetras need at least 20G, because of how active they are, and the fact that they need a full school to thrive.

EDIT:
    Oops, I forgot....this is all NOT counting the betta. You can't have the betta with any of the combos I just listed, especially not in a 10G.

17. AndyVEValued MemberMember

I am one of those lucky ones that can keep my betta with RCS in a 5.6 gallon.

my betta had to be rehomed from my 33 g because he could not get allong with my cardinal tetra.
    but he does not mind the shrimp.

But like other's mentioned...it all depends on the Betta.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  18. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

All depends on the betta! Really though, if you wanted a betta community, I'd recommend at least 20g for other fish. For a 5g, you could do shrimp or snails, maybe even RCS, but make sure that you know that the RCS could possibly end up as an overly-expensive snack.

I'm all for the betta community idea though!!!! :D

19. mammaguppyValued MemberMember

I once had 6 bettas in a heavily planted 60 gallon tank. 5 were females, one was a male half moon. They lived with all sorts of fish

20. Marinedude17422New MemberMember

Okay so after what you guys have said I'll probably just keep the betta in his own tank from school haha so excluding the betta what could be my stocking options for fish? I'm gonna have tons of Java moss and I don't want to be overrun with babies!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice