Fish Twitching And Sudden Aggression

faithapaul1

Reaction score
HI guys,
A little while I posted about a sword tail who had an injury and was acting earatically. I thought it was culminaris AlI treated the whole tank for it. I thought he was doing fine but found him dead one morning.

During that one of my Molly’s began shimmying but in a very odd way. Link to video is below:

A week has gone by and my Molly’s shimmies seemed to be staying the same until a few days ago. Now he looks worse and stares off into space. Adding salt to the water seems to help temporarily but he just goes back to being the same. Last night he spent most of his time on the bottom of the tank. He has always been a very passive, outgoing fish but last night he was very aggressive and chased other fish away. I fed the whole tank a few peas, and did a 75% water change last night.

Today my female sword tail, generally a very shy fish who gets bullied a lot, is extremely aggresssive. Both the Molly and her are hovering at the top of the tank with dorsal fins clamped. They are both acting strangely but the sword tail in particular is showing new behavior. It’s almost like she goes into twitching fits whenever another fish (and sometimes just by herself) come around. She and the Molly hover vertically towards the top of the tank and just stare off into space. My swordtails tail also looks as if it is bending to her right slightly. The Molly swims stiffly and lets his tail droop. He mainly moves through the water in with his side fins. The sword fish who passed showed similar behavior as the living sword fish. It's very strange.

The video below is of them just now.

My tank has been set up for about a month. There are three mollies, three platies, one sword tail, one mosquito fish (long story) and four kuhlI loaches although I never see them.

Yesterday I came home to a dead algae eater. He had looked like one of the healthiest fish in the tank, and then he just died. His stomach/organ area turned a yellowish color. I noticed that while he was living but just assumed that was what his tummy looks like.

29 gallon tank, 78 degrees F, GH 180 ppm, KH 120 ppm, nitrates 40, nitrites 1, ph between 7.5-8. Other fish look healthy and are eating.

*this tank is temporary. I am in the middle of setting up a 45 gallon tank (currently they are in 29). I want to properly cycle it this time to ensure no problems occur

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am not good with diseases, so I'm not even gonna try to guess what's up...

However, it's definitely clear that both fish in the video are ill and I'd separate them from each other and from the rest of the fish in the tank unless they all look/act like the ones in the video. If so you probably have to treat the entire tank (if treatable).
Another thing that's also definitely an issue and that most likely has played a role in these fish becoming unwell is the 1 ppm nitrite. It's great that you wanna move them to a cycled tank when it's all ready, but they cannot live in 1 ppm nitrite until you're ready to move them. 1 ppm is way too high so you have to perform more water changes or larger water changes even though this is just a temporary tank. 40 ppm nitrate is also a little high, but not a big deal - what about ammonia?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This appears to be nothing more then breeding to me in the 2nd video. The first 1 appears to be giving birth, and may be having problems with it but that's what it looks like.

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave125g said:
This appears to be nothing more then breeding to me in the 2nd video. The first 1 appears to be giving birth, and may be having problems with it but that's what it looks like.
You don't think they look oddly skinny? To me it looks like both stomachs are totally flat and they struggle to not sink to the bottom of the tank.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The swordtail is attacking the other fish, swordtail of the marigold color type seem to be more aggressive than other color types and swordtails are able to easily kill other fish.
The molly looks to be partially paralyzed which could be related to illness or in the genes.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kiks said:
You don't think they look oddly skinny? To me it looks like both stomachs are totally flat and they struggle to not sink to the bottom of the tank.
I didn't really notice the flat stomach. That usually means internal parasites. It is already affecting the swim blater it may be to late. I would treat the whole tank for parasites.

OP
F

faithapaul1

Reaction score
Dave125g said:
I didn't really notice the flat stomach. That usually means internal parasites. It is already affecting the swim blater it may be to late. I would treat the whole tank for parasites.
Thank you so much for responding! This means so much to me! I have ordered the apI freshwater test kit so I will no longer have to rely on the strips which I know can be very inaccurate. Until then I will continue to do frequent water changes. I did notice a week or two ago that the yellow Molly was having long, thin and stringy white poops, however that has cleared up and it did so very quickly as well. I treated yesterday with paraguard, but I have a very pregnant platy and I don’t know how that will effect her fry.

I added a large piece of filter media from a cycled tank to the current cycling one. I also added bio spira.

To help the fishies who are ill I put each of them in their own warm tub and covered it. That seemed to help a lot, but I do not have an extra filter to set them up with in their own tank.

Mcasella said:
The swordtail is attacking the other fish, swordtail of the marigold color type seem to be more aggressive than other color types and swordtails are able to easily kill other fish.
The molly looks to be partially paralyzed which could be related to illness or in the genes.
Thank you so much! Its funny though because until yesterday the sword tail was incredibly shy. She always got picked on and so did the male when he was alive. The male actually got an injury that took off part of his tail. I suspect it was from the same platy.

Kiks said:
Thank you for answering. The sword tail seems to be swimming okay, but the Molly does stay close to the bottom.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom