Fish turning white rapidly!! HELP

Allisonf

Reaction score
I recently adopted 5 new Australian Rainbowfish into my already established 55 gallon tank. I currently had 2 fancy goldfish and a black Moore in the tank. The first week things went smoothly, but I recently noticed the Rainbowfish nipping at the goldfish fins. I separated the Rainbowfish and put them into a spare filtered 30 gallon tank, Using some of the tank water from the 55 gallon. They have only been in the 30 gallon for 4-5 hours but have turned completely white. Is this due to stress?? Will my fish recover??
I attached a photo of one of the fish before the tank switch and after.
(I know they have ammonia burns but I have been treating them. They had them when I got them from the store)

Attachments

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
No I did not, it was a quick decision to move them due to the amount of damage they did to the goldfish fins. However, 50% of the water I used in the 30 gallon came out of the already established 55 gallon tank.

mrsP

Reaction score
Water from another tank doesn't do anything, so you are now in situation cycling your tank fishes in it. If you can, you can put filter media from cycled tanks filter to new one, that would be instant cycle. But for now, daily water changes etc.

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
mrsP said:
Water from another tank doesn't do anything, so you are now in situation cycling your tank fishes in it. If you can, you can put filter media from cycled tanks filter to new one, that would be instant cycle. But for now, daily water changes etc.
My 55 gallon tank has 2 bio filters I used one of the bio filters from the 55 gallon and put it into the 30 gallon tank filter. Does this help anything?

mrsP

Reaction score
It does, if tank was cycled it's instant cycle. In that case color change could be due stress from changes for them, and they will color up again given time and good food. Keeping water pristine always helps, bit like giving humans fresh air. Well done there. :D

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
Thank you for your help!

mrsP said:
It does, if tank was cycled it's instant cycle. In that case color change could be due stress from changes for them, and they will color up again given time and good food. Keeping water pristine always helps, bit like giving humans fresh air. Well done there. :D
Thanks for your help!

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Stress. Is the new tank decorated at all. The rainbows won’t do well in a bare tank.

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
Stress. Is the new tank decorated at all. The rainbows won’t do well in a bare tank.
The tank is decorated. I have substrate a nice centerpiece, a hide, artificial plants, and moss balls.
It has been over 12 hours since I moved them, they are still white in color. When can they be expected to change back to normal?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom