Fish Treatment Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Willed, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

So I've been looking around online at some fish breeders and I found one I liked for GBRs. They say when fish arrive they are very weak from the 2 day fasting plus the stress of transportation. That all tanks have opportunistic viruses, so dose one time with melafix or para guard.
    Thoughts on this? What if there are no other fish in the tank? Skip at your own risk? Debatable if necessary?
    If I do this which one is better to use?
    Thanks!

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn’t even order from them if they say that. Plus, Melafix and Para Guard are two totally different medications. Melafix is just Cajeput tree oil, and doesn’t treat parasites (or anything in my opinion). ParaGuard contains actually medication and is decent. Though I don’t like the broad medication stuff. It seems like the best thing to do is identify the disease, and treat it with something meant for that disease specifically.

3. D

Disturbed.) Valued Member Member

Any wild caught fish should be given rounds of treatments to cover all the different kinds of parasites. Most other fish really shouldnt be treated unless you see a problem especially if it is alone in a tank

4. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

I've never done a prophylactic medicating, but I can speak to the ineffectiveness of Melafix. Since your GBR will be alone in this tank (quarantine?), just try to set everything to its specifications and make the transition as stress-free as you are able to. If you're in an area where access to fish meds takes time, like they have to be ordered online, then having some meds available in case symptoms do arise never hurts.

5. OP
    OP
    Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

They seem to really care about their fish and give a ton of accurate and nuanced information about proper fish care that matches what I've learned from this forum. That being said I don't think I will treat without any symptoms. I know many bird breeders who are very good and have that nuanced knowledge but sometimes they have these random practices I don't agree with. I'm going to chalk it up to that, and a little bit of unnecessary medication in the hope of having fewer fish die in less observant less educated fish keepers hands.

These are captive bred with new wild parents every now and then.

They are coming from 45 minutes away so that's nice. I will do everything I can to reduce their stress.
    I did order paraguard just in case, it seems like a good thing to have on hand regardless.

6. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

I used to breed Rams, and still keep some, so all questions are welcomed if you have any! I currently have a Black Ram (new rare color morph).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice