Fish Treat Suggestion

jmoneyisback

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I feed my fish flake and lately shrimp pellets. I've also given them a freeze dried bloodworm "treat" a few times. The Pristellas are not interested in the bloodworms, really and only a couple of the cories are. I'd like to get them something else, instead. Suggestions?

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, Tetras LOVE mosquito larvae. Not hard to find or culture in Florida. Just sit out a bucket of clean water, let a few get in there, and then strain them out. They are one of the healthiest live fish foods out there.

ThatGuppyGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a bucket for mosquito larvae going a while back.
Gonna put another one out soon cos my fish went nuts for them.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I second the brine shrimp as well.

jmoneyisback

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For the mosquitos, do you leave the bucket out for a certain period of time or during a certain time of day? Maybe right after it rains or something?

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure that there's really an exact science to it, you just want to check it maybe twice a day. You only want to use them as food while theyre in the larval stage, which is when they still look like a tiny worm. Once they start getting appendages and such theyre no longer good to feed to fish from what I remember.

ThatGuppyGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had some driftwood soaking which stained the water making it more appealing to mosquitos to lay their larvae in. Checked it every 4-5 days, let some grow a little so they were more of a treat.
Some of the bigger ones I let grow to feed the honey gouramis were gulped down by my celestial pearl danios, it was quite surprising.
If you're worried about rain water you can try and put it somewhere it won't get rained on.
I left mine outside 24/7 with no problems.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads