fish transportation? Question

1. bruiser

bruiser Valued Member Member

Hey, I know your not supposed to leave the fish in the bag you get at the LFS any longer than you have to.. But how long is too long. I'm not real happy with my LFS right now, and the place I'd like to get some new fish from is about an hour drive for me.

Also, I'm trying to keep in mind water temperature..

I have an idea for better transportation if its necessary..?? but if the hour drive isn't going to stress them too much I wont bother.

Thanks!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

My favorite LFS is about an hour away. I take a small cooler with me to keep the temp steady.

3. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Hmm, okay, well maybe I'll give that a try then! My idea went a little further then that, but if it works, no sense in going out of my way with my original plan.

Thanks!

4. Lucy

Your welcome :)
    Possibly, if you tell the store you have a ways to travel, they'll put extra oxygen in the bag.
    Mine will bag them like they were going to be shipped.

5. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Okay, sounds good, I was thinking, Take an empty clean 5 gallon bucket.. I have a battery powered aerator (for a minnow bucket when I go fishing) and taking a HOB heater, and plug it into a power converter in my truck. Just notch out the buckets lid for the heater and air line so the lid still keeps the heat in

6. Lucy

I'd be worried the fish might got sloshed around against the sides of the bucket.
    I doubt the fish store would give you enough water to accomplish that.
    If you planned on bringing your own water, the fish should be acclimated close to and sometimes (depending on the species) over an hour to your water.

You can pad the cooler with bunched up newspaper if need be but I've never had a problem.

7. OP
    OP
    bruiser

yeah, thats true I guess.. well I'll try your cooler trick and see how it goes! do you have them put the fish in bags, then put the bags in the cooler?

8. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, have them bag the fish, then pack them in the cooler so that they are snug

9. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Okay I thought thats what you meant. just making sure! Thanks a lot! really appreciate the help!

10. Lucy

:happy0034:

11. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

I've traveled 4+ hours with bagged fish before. Thats after they sat in my room bagged through the night. They were fine, and they were discus.

12. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I ordered a couple BN plecos from a member on here and they were in bags for several days. You have to remember that this is usually how fish get from ditributors to the fish store. I think my to BN were in the bag for 3 days. I acclimated them for a little over and hour and they have been fine.

13. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I just use the cooler method that Lucy uses. Works fine for me on my aquarium runs. That covers about 3-5hrs & 4-8 different aquarium stores. Ask at the shop if they have one of the foam transport boxes they recieve thier fish in. They should have heaps & it shouldn't cost you anything either.

14. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

i'd also wrap them in a dark towel and then put the whole thing in the cooler, that will keep them warmer plus they seem to get less stressed if it's dark :)