Fish To Put In 5.5 Gallon Tank

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most schooling fish cannot be in a small tank like that since they need to be in schools of 6+

Personally I love bettas in a 5g tank, I would get a really pretty elaborate betta for the tank. 5g is smaller than most fish min tank size unfortunately.

Birdie

Reaction score
Thank you, Watson! I already have a beautiful light blue male Betta with maroon stripes on his tail. I have him in a 3 gallon tank with a Nerite snail, and he does very well.

I really wanted to put a different type of fish in the 5.5 galllon but not sure what kind would fit in a tank that small. I wish I could have gotten at least a 10 gallon but no room.

Thanks for your reply!

Birdie

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Crispii!

I'll look for chili Rasbora, dwarf Rasbora, Ruby Tetra, or ember Tetra and see what they look like. How many should I get?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can easily double the numbers of Embers or Chilis to 12-15. The more the merrier is my philosophy on schooling numbers. Species only, of course. I don't agree with 6 of several different species of fish, but instead do a single large school. But do what you're comfortable with.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Imo, a 5.5 gallon is too small for both neon tetras and harlequin rasboras. Some fish that can comfortably be housed in a 5.5 gallon are betta, sparkling gourami, chili rasbora, dwarf rasbora, ruby tetra, endler's livebearers, clown killifish, ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, and pea puffer.
This is spot on.
Just also wanna add cherry shrimps would also be a good species only tank. Start with about 10, and you'll have a colony in no time.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have endlers and cherry shrimp in a 6g. It works well. I've also had micro rasboras with shrimp - no problems.

I agree with most of suggestions above but maybe not the tetras. It's not that they couldn't fit; I just think they'd happier in a larger tank. I kept embers in a 10g for years and recently moved them into a 29g tank and it's like they're completely different fish. I think a 5g would be small for them.

Birdie

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies and advice.

I have another question. For my 3 gallon tank that has my Betta and a snail, could I add some pygmy catfish, maybe 2-4?

I really wish I could get a bigger tank with lots of different kinds of fish in it. Oh well. Maybe some day.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies and advice.

I have another question. For my 3 gallon tank that has my Betta and a snail, could I add some pygmy catfish, maybe 2-4?

I really wish I could get a bigger tank with lots of different kinds of fish in it. Oh well. Maybe some day.
I want to say no.

Birdie

Reaction score
Okay, thanks, Crispii. Just wishful thinking on my part I guess. I'll stick with just the Betta and snail.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom