Fish To Put In 20 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CarCat, Jul 25, 2019.

1. CarCat

CarCatNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, new to this forum. I am a teen and have had fish for as long as I can remember, but haven't really gotten into it. Just a matter of having them, taking care of them, and being able to see them and watch them interact. For the longest time, I only ever had goldfish and the like, but about 4 years ago I completely changed my 20 gallon tank for tropical fish. Had no sense to research it at the time, and of course, the Petco guy thought nothing of it, so I got 2 Paradise Gouramis, 4 neons, and 2 zebra danyos. Within a couple of weeks, all but one of the neons had been eaten, and that last neon, as well as my zebra danyos, lasted almost as long as the gouramis. About a year ago all of the others got eaten. Then over the past year, my gouramis got some disease (don't remember off of the top of my head) and died. The tank has been sitting for 3-4 months now, but filter still running.

Anyways, I have wanted to get more fish and this time I don't want it to go badly. I love schooling fish and would be fine with maybe splitting 50/50 between two species of tetras. I would love Dwarf Puffers but can't really change my tank to suit them. I have a colorful theme going on in the tank, and some different colored fish would be nice. I just can't seem to figure out what I could put a lot of that would look nice. I also found that with my previous setup all of the fish always seemed lonely, even before all the neons were eaten.

TL;DR: Would like lots of fish, preferably that school a lot, and possibly a couple of different species but open to do a single-species tank.

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +476
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ok, I think I see the problem your tank is not cycled, as I see you selected no in the nitrogen cycle.
    *I am going to Copy and Paste this from another thing I did
    Ok so basically it is a cycle for your fishes safety!
    Bacteria are living in your tank I assume breaking down these things, they are called "Nitrifying Bacteria".
    First Ammonia, Ammonia is produced from waste such as uneaten food, poop, and decay. This is bad for your fish as this will kill them so you want to get rid of this ASAP if you have fish.
    The NB turns Ammonia into Nitrite, Nitrite is also bad for you fish and could kill them. When you see this it is a good sign your cycle is working.
    Finally, we have Nitrate which NB turns use Nitrite. Nitrate is good in small amounts like Equal to or less than 40 PPM when you only see this stuff that means your cycle is finished.
    Good Parameters look like
    Ammonia: 0 PPM / Nitrite: 0 PPM / Nitrate: Less than 40 PPM.
    This is needed or else your fish could die from the poisoning of these things!
    Basically
    Ammonia = Nitrite = Nitrate.
    Please ask any questions.

3. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +716
    If your tank is good and cycled, perhaps add a school of cories and then a nice school of tetras or rasboras up top? A nice mix of top and bottom schoolers?

4. OP
    OP
    CarCat

CarCatNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Had never heard of the rasboras but I do like what I am seeing about them. I do not particularly like catfish so much but I agree that they would be good to help fill up the bottom. This tank tends to have a lot of algae buildup and I had an algae eater at one point as well who did well. Maybe something like a Flying Fox. I have read that they prefer middle to bottom of the tank. I also see that the Scissortail Rasbora likes the middle to top of the tank. I feel like those two might look and function good together, what do you think?

Now that I read that I recognize it and we have cycled the tank. At first, when I saw the menu option I did not know what it meant so I just selected no.

5. NC122606

Ratings:
    +476
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh ok, that's good! Make sure to change it so nobody gets confused. What kind of fish do you like? :)

6. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +108
    Experience:
    1 year
    There's a good chance the bacteria won't be alive, unless you've been feeding the aquarium the past 4 months, i'm not sure how long NB lasts without food. Be careful either way.

7. NC122606

Ratings:
    +476
    Experience:
    Just started
    There is still a chance because they can survive for weeks to a year I think.

8. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +108
    Experience:
    1 year
    Flying Fox is a no go they get too big and as they mature they eat less algae and eat the slim coats of fish. Shrimp, Snails and Otos are algae cleaners for small tanks as well as manual labour.

9. MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +716
    Theyre not truly "schooling" but theyre super social and really fun to watch, but what about a small loach species? Best in groups of 6+ and theyre good for bottom of the tank (they wont touch on algae though, sorry). I have javas and kuhlis and one unknown sold as a java lol theyre fun to watch play hide and seek inside the tank, they need a lot of hiding places but they make for a really good bottom fish.

Very few truly algae eating fish would be suitable for a 20gal. Though, my mollies and gourami eat quite a bit of algae off the silk plants and tank walls... theyre not overly schooling fish and gourami can be finicky with temperment.

10. OP
    OP
    CarCat

CarCatNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I had never seen them, but I absolutely love the Kuhli loaches. Maybe 6 Kuhlis and 6 rasboras? What does everyone think?

11. MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +716
    You can never have enough noodles :D

12. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'd double the kuhli numbers to around 12, and depending 9n the species of rasbora, have around 8-12 in them along with a centrepiece fish or two.

I would reccomend against the scissortails. They can easily obtain sizes up to 4 inches, and 6 inches isnt uncommon. Their size as well as their behaviour (very active fish) make them not ideal candidates for your 20g.

13. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If your tank has been sitting empty and just running with the filter it probably isn't cycled any more. The nitrifying bacteria you need in the tank that processes fish waste to a harmless form needs a constant supply of ammonia to survive. Running a filter without providing a source of ammonia (fish poop, fish food, pure ammonia, decaying plant matter etc.) will most likely have allowed that bacteria to die. Do you have a good test kit that tests water for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? If you do, we can help you get your taank back in shape so you don't have the same bad experience with fish getting sick and dying off.
    Hmmmm. If you're a "teen" why does your profile say you were born Apr 19, 1972 (Age: 47)? Are you trolling or is that.... what?o_O

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  14. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +138
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  15. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My profile says the same. Or similar. On mobile it's really hard to sign up on the site and give DOB since you cant type it in manually. You have to scroll through all the years before you get to your DOB.

I gave up half way through, and this resulted in my birthday not being accurate at all. I imagine it may be the same for the OP.

16. OP
    OP
    CarCat

CarCatNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't use my real birthday on things for obvious reasons.

17. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You don't have to put your birthday on this site at all. Or your gender.

Nope. Your birthday isn't even on your profile Aussie. It's a choice, as is displaying where you live and your gender.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2019
  18. OP
    OP
    CarCat

CarCatNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    When I was signing up it told me to put a birthday so I put in a random fake birthday, because I am not going to put my real birthday on things. But I never saw an option to not show it, and I can't change anything until I have 3 actual posts.