Fish To Keep That Eat Hair Algae (non-aggressive) Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Wonderboy88, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Wonderboy88

Wonderboy88 New Member Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a 40 Gallon tank that is stocked with guppies, 2 Gourami, and three otocinclus algae eaters. I was wondering if there is a fish that is safe to house with what I have that eats hair algae as the oto's do not from what I have researched. My tank has recently started to grow hair algae so I want to house a few fish that eat hair algae that are safe to put in with the community that I already have.

2. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

Siamese algea eaters love just about all algeas and also amano shrimps love algea and will help keep your tank clean. SAE get bout 4-6 inches, amanos should have about 3-4 and get 2 inches

3. OP
    OP
    Wonderboy88

So are the amanos shrimp safe to house with the community of guppies, Gourami, and oto's that i already have in my tank. Also will having two different species of algae eaters be an issue. I really do enjoy the ottos I have and would love to keep them and house an hair eating algae eater without harming the food source of the oto's.

4. FriarThomasIII

They eat all kinds of algea, but type of gourami? Opalines might eat the amanos if they aren't fully grown. You can also supplement with algea wafers.

5. OP
    OP
    Wonderboy88

I have a pair ( one male and one female ) flame blue dwarf gourami with three oto’s and several ( about 8 guppies ) in my 40 gallon. Most of the algae is is under control with the oto’s in my tank ( supplementing their diet with wafers and squash and zucchini ). The only algae that is still present is the hair algae and I do not want to ruin or upset my ecosystem with a mass cleaning to remove the hair algae. Hence looking for a algae eater that will be safe with my already present community and will benefit my tank without causing a disruption to the oto’s food source. I do have love plants ( anaubis, anachris, swords ( I have red/purple knight and green ) as well as 2 crypts one green and one red, with rosefolia and wisteria and some ludwigia that I fertilize with seachem products and it’s been about a week since all the hair algae started and I would like to get it in control before it gets worse than it already is.

6. FriarThomasIII

Yeah, amano shrimps would be a wonderful addition! Give them plenty of hiding places and dense plants to hide in when they molt then you're golden.

7. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

I can't tell you the imbalance you have, but getting something to eat the hair is barely a bandaid. You should be looking at nitrates or lighting or too much fert, IDK.

8. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I have 3 SAEs in my 40g. They took care of all my algae issues including blackbeard algae. They will be moved to my 75g when they get bigger but they're about 2.5" now from 1.5" a couple of months ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice