Fish to go with Barbs 50 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by claudicles, Mar 31, 2010.

1. claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

Hi guys,
    I have my eye on a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot tank to go in a corner and I'd like to stock around a school of barbs - maybe a school of tiger barbs and one of gold barbs. Given their fin nipping propensity I'm a bit nervous about choosing other stck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Could you tell us how many litres or gallons it is?

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

60 US gal Jake. Plenaty of room for more Barbs. I'd go with a great big school of tigers. You could do a mixed school of Tiger & Ruby Barbs.

4. OP
    OP
    c

claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

Sorry guys, I've been quiet because once I priced the whole set up it turned out a big chunk of change, so to speak. $1300 Australian with everything. Too much atm.
    I'm still struggling with the volume thing. I worked it out at 216 litres which that calculator thing at the bottom put at just over 50 gallons. I guess if people don't specify they are referring to US gallons not imperial? I put it in the title but I didn't realise the title only shows up in a few spots.
    Anyway, back to the barb drawing board.... ;p.

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If you wanted to have other fish in the tank besides barbs, I'd suggest a school of cherry barbs and a school of gold barbs. Your options are wide open for a community tank with them. Tigers really limit your choices when it comes to tank mates.

6. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Basically you have to stick with other active fish of similiar size or bigger. I suggest a shoal of Giant Danios. Or just sticking with a Barb tank only. Cherry Barbs are less active and peaceful but would give good color. Serpae Tetras might work they are another active potential fin-nipper, lol. Red Tail Shark and Bristlenose pleco for the bottom maybe. RTS with the Tetras might be ify though. :;sh RTS like to chase smaller fish then they are, unless they are too fast to catch and not too small. Shark does well with Giant Danios, I have them together in my 55 gallon.

7. Jaysee

Serpaes have done very well in my tiger barb tank. unfortunately, they do not do so well with the crayfish....the school of 9 is down to 4 now.

If you have any desire to keep crayfish, you could keep it a barb only tank and get a couple crayfish - they cant really catch barbs.

8. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I would have to disagree with Giant Danios or an RTS in a tank like this. There simply isn't enough space for them in a tank that only has a 2x2ft footprint. If you were to get a standard dimension 60gal tank then you would have many more options. Be an awful lot cheaper to.

9. OP
    OP
    c

Food for thought. Thanks. I might look into other tanks that will fit in the space.
    I like the idea of a barbs only tank but I would hate to be limited to just tiger barbs. So long as other barbs are OK with them. I have serpae tetras in one of my other tanks and they actually don't seem that active. The Congo tetras I have in my 90 gallon are frenetic by comparison. The half dozen or so fish shops I have access to don't have giant danios. Are regular danios OK or will they end up barb food? I'm very fond of those critters. I like my fish active :D

10. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Danios of any type are usually to fast to be caught by anything but large fish with large mouths. There are many many beautiful danios out there. I wish stores would order some of the different danios.
    Carol

11. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I've had horrible experience with tiger barbs, both amongst themselves and also with other fish. They were not just nippers, they were downright killers. I'm sure others have done better. My cherry barbs, although beautiful, seem to prefer a tank no less than 30 gallons. They're nice though.

12. Jaysee

My tiger barbs are killers too.

13. OP
    OP
    c

That is a real worry. Do most people report the same with Tiger Barbs? I see the odd anecdote but it doesn't seem to be a general warning. Do you know whether they are captivity bred or wild caught? If they are bred under cramped conditions and underfed that would select out the more agressive fish to bread and lead to that problem.

14. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

How about the larger (4-5") clown barbs? Beautiful fish!

15. Jaysee

Finding tankmates for tiger barbs requires a lot of trial and error. also, IME, things can be okay and then one day it'll just be a war zone.

16. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Tiger barbs are killers but they are really pretty haha. My brother bought some for his 10 gal tank and then he didn't want a tank anymore so I took the 3 or 4 he had I can't remember and put them in my community tank....bad idea.

17. OP
    OP
    c

Ok, I'm convinced. There are plenty of other pretty barbs. Maybe I'll go with cherry barbs and golds barbs.

18. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

A barb I just discovered (er well I finally found out about its existance) is called a snakeskin barb and they're pieceful and may great community fish. I'm thinking about getting some for my tank

19. OP
    OP
    c

Yeah, I've seen those in books but never in a shop. They look cool. Funny how the shops are teaming with tiger barbs and not so well stocked in the barbs that are easier to keep.

20. Jaysee

The e-watson09 (snakeskin) barb is a nice fish :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice