Fish To Add With Angelfish

1. P

Paul2018 New Member Member

Hey Guys, how’s a goin?

I recently got an 180 litre secondhand tank. My neighbours have offered two of their Angelfish from their 500 Litre tank.

Would love your advice on what cory cats i could get that are ok with 25c? Was thinking either Sterba cory or Adolfois cory.

Also what other fish could i get that would be ok with temp of 25c.

Would Cherry barbs or Platies or Neon or Cardinal tetras be ok? Would like something with colour. Is there any other fish besides ones mentioned that has colour that i cud add?

Would Cherry barbs be suitable with Angels?

Are livebearer easy to keep? Been worried that they may become too many in tank,though heard that Angel will eat their babies.

Heard Neon are not the best to a new tank set up, that they need an established tank.

Would Cardinals be more suitable than Neon?

The Angels in my neighbours tank are used to Neons and rummy nose tetras as, have them in their tank with Angels.

Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you. Really looking forward to hearing from you. Getting really excited in setting up my first tank.

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Once your tank has cycled and the angels have had a week to adjust to their new tank, any species of cory cats will be fine, just make sure they're all the same species. A small school of tetras would be fine but definitely not neons. Lemon tetras or cardinals or cherry tetras would be better. The angelfish will usually ignore other speices unless they are small enough to fit in their mouths.

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Hi Paul,

On your profile it says you already have a 33 gallon, is that your first or is this 180 litre(47 US gallons) your first?

You can 2 pair of angelfish max for your tank, if you’d like. How big are the angels? What filtration do you have?

I personally like the look of sterbai cories but it would be up to you. You can easily have a nice shoal of 6 cories. OR a school or cherry barbs. They can work great with angels.

Livebearers like guppies, platies and mollies are one of the easiest fish to have. Although, that would not be a good idea. Guppies tend to nip fins and would probably get eaten by the angels. Platies and mollies are okay I suppose but the babies would definitely get eaten.

Neons are one of the most sensitive tetras. I would recommend having them in a mature tank. Angels will most likely eat them whem they are older.
    Cardinals get half an inch bigger than neons. It would be possible but angels can also eat them if they want.

They probably grew up with the neons. I read that if an angel grows up with the fish then it will have a lower chance to eat or harass them.

4. OP
    OP
    P

Paul2018 New Member Member

Hello Bryan, how are u? I was going to get a 33 Gallon, but found out i could afford a tank abit bigger, as offer for the 180 litre (47 Gallon) was very good.

This is my very 1st tank anyway and really looking forward to getting it set up etc.

Not sure which of their Angels they will give me. They have some Adults and some youngsters. Filter is a Fluval 206, i think its to be very good.

Yeah i do like Sterbai cories too. Will see how i get on at pet shop. As they may have a mixed group of cories. Not sure how common Sterbai would be avalable in local pet shop. Once they are ok with 25C, i will get them. Will get bout 6-8.

I think i might chance Platies as they have mixed colours. I can always get Cherrys,Neon/Cardinals in the future when tank matures.

Think i will add Platies 1st, then Cories, and lastly the two Angels. Will be adding all bit by bit. May add cories 10 days after Platies and after another 10 days i will the two Angels. (I know i be taking a big risk though with the Platies, as will have plenty of babies by the time the Angels arrive, but i see how i get on. I will go with the flow anyway.)

Thanks so much for your advice.

Will send pics of tank within the few months when all the fish are in and d plants look good.

Hello finnipper, how are u?

Was goin to do Fishless cycle with fish food, but may neighbours, who are giving me the Angels, have been saying that if i add a few fish with something like Tetra Safe Start that it should be ok.

They were saying i could get fish after setting up tank, but my local pet shop said i need to add fish a week after setting it up. Will be getting more info on Sat in local pet shop about this when i am buying plants.

Will hopefully have tank set up on Sat with d plants and Sand. Will be adding some gravel 1st then play sand as neighbours said that this way would be good for the plants.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Will be adding pics within the few months once fish are all in and the plants look good.

5. finnipper59

Paul, give th 2 angels a couple of weeks by themselves. Then add more fish slowly as your filtration stabilizes. I'm cycling another 55 gallon tank to get a couple of my angels out. Right now I have 5 grown angelfish, 8 redeye tetras, 6 cories and 1 betta. The angelfish don't bother other fish, but I have 2 dominant male angelfish that fight each other like pitbulls. They don't get hurt, but it still stresses them out.

6. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

Personally I would go with live bearers. Guppies are the easiest to keep and fastest breeding, the angels will likely keep their numbers in check. Stay away from barbs and other fin nipping fish, especially with angels.

7. finnipper59

The guppies are a good idea. Their fry make a good protein suppliment for the angelfish...just no feeder guppies. They are not usually taken well care of and mat carry disease. You can also eventually add cory catfish in a school of about 6. You could also go with mollies, platys, and swordtails. Most small schools of tetras are good too...just no neons.