Fish themed pumpkins?

MomOfLiveBearers

Anyone else do a fish themed pumpkin?
Our town is crazy hot so we painted them this year.

Utar

MomOfLiveBearers said:
Anyone else do a fish themed pumpkin?
Our town is crazy hot so we painted them this year.
That is awesome.

Flyfisha

Almost no pumpkins in my town.
Thanks to South Park we get a handful of “trick or treat“ visitors. I have no idea what I am supposed to do it’s just embarrassing standing at the door not knowing how to play the game for the kids that have gone to a lot of effort to buy costumes.
What am I actually supposed to do?
Give sweets to strangers?
The kids don’t seem to know what to do ether?
Tell me please so I don’t have to watch South Park.

We do the Melbourne Cup ( horse race) and a 1000 kilometre motor race at Bathurst Mountain on or about the same weekend.

Coradee

Fabulous pumpkin painting!
Like Flyfisha we don’t go big on Halloween here either. Any trick or treating is pre arranged between families & neighbours so nobody gets unwanted knocks on the door after dark & this year of course it's pretty much cancelled

MacZ

Flyfisha said:
Almost no pumpkins in my town.
Thanks to South Park we get a handful of “trick or treat“ visitors. I have no idea what I am supposed to do it’s just embarrassing standing at the door not knowing how to play the game for the kids that have gone to a lot of effort to buy costumes.
What am I actually supposed to do?
Give sweets to strangers?
The kids don’t seem to know what to do ether?
Tell me please so I don’t have to watch South Park.

We do the Melbourne Cup ( horse race) and a 1000 kilometre motor race at Bathurst Mountain on or about the same weekend.
No, it's not because of South Park, but through general cultural osmosis. Films, TV shows (I was an avid Simpsons fan, nowerdays I only watch the Halloween episodes), books, comics... and last but not least: Consumerism - have spread Halloween all over the planet by the late nineties/early 2000s. Even to Germany, where we had a similar tradition for St. Martin's (Nov 11th), where kids with lanterns would go round the neighbourhood, sing a song about St. Martin and get candy for it.
Rumours about poisoned candy in the US have alarmed parents here (totally overreacting because there were no actual cases here). Since, many don't let the little ones go anymore, and teens with rather mischievous intentions have taken over, running havok. Also nobody really knows which date Halloween is on, so the whole time between Oct 31 and Nov 11 is now a time where strange stuff happens at night.

(I studied Celtic Studies and prefer and celebrate the pre-christian irish predecessor Samhain over Halloween.)

Flyfisha

MacZ , You are correct in your choice of the wording of “cultural osmosis “ and correct in the consumerism statement.
As an Aussie we like to “dumb it down “as we speak , this transfers to my writing.

My apologies for saying South Park and not Hollywood and the media in general.

MacZ

Flyfisha said:
MacZ , You are correct in your choice of the wording of “cultural osmosis “ and correct in the consumerism statement.
As an Aussie we like to “dumb it down “as we speak , this transfers to my writing.

My apologies for saying South Park and not Hollywood and the media in general.
Don't apologize, South Park is only one of many legitimate examples.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom