Fish that won't eat Inverts? Question

1. canary Initiate Member

I'm going to be setting up a 24 gallon freshwater aquarium with medium substrate, sand, maybe river rocks, and live plants. Hopefully it'll become a very natural-looking scene. My question involves inverts vs. fish. I am planning on adding shrimp and a few clams. What fish won't eat these? I know the basics..like puffers would think it's a seafood restaurant...but looking for voices of experience please. ^^

Also, if you have live plants that you've had a lot of success with in a medium-light tank, please toss some shiny tips my way too. ^^

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Maybe some small tetras? Anything that cannot fit the inverts in their mouths will be fine. Cories would be fine also.
    As far as plants - check out Plantgeek.com

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I have honey gourami, gups, plats, otocinclus, mollies, and corydora catfish with my MTS, my Mystery Snails, ghost shrimp, and red cherry shrimp. Everyone gets along swimmingly.

The link Amanda mentioned is plantgeek.net. :;th You can search by light level or other params. :)

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Labyrinth fish will work with shrimp as long as there are places for the shrimp to hide while molting. Otherwise, the first time they molt, they'll likely become dinner.
    Tetras, guppies, platies, mollies, will work.
    Gold barbs will not (most other barbs likely won't, either, but I don't have experience with them). They're avid hunters. My gold barbs used to pluck the eyestalks off of mystery snails.

My biggest planted-tank tip is; use Eco-Complete. It's the easiest substrate in the world to use. There's no rinsing, no cloudy water. Put it in, fill the tank, you're ready to go. It's also really good for plants.