Fish that utilize sand Question

1. tpasser2

tpasser2 Valued Member Member

Know of any fish that like playing in the sand? I switched from gravel to sand recently and I was wondering what other fish like sand and use it i.e. spit it, filter it, etc. I already have a cory. Any other ideas?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Almost all bottom dwelling fish will forage in the sand. In a 10 gallon though, I would just get malaysian trumpet snails. It's really not big enough for most bottom dwelling fish.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

What size tank are we talking abiut? There are lots of cool fish that like sand :)
    Carol

4. greenbeanette

greenbeanette Valued Member Member

Most bottom dwellers appreciate sand, even if they don't require it. It's more comfortable lol. You're are limited in stocking because of your tank size. Cories like to be in groups, but your tank is too small for a group of albinos. I'd return the albino and get maybe 3-4 pygmy or panda cories.

5. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

It is a 10 gallon Carol

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

You can do a bit more then 3-4 :p You can house 6-8 of the pygmy species, and shouldnt have any less then 6 ideally.

7. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Maybe you could get 6 c. habrosus. What other fish are in your tank?

8. greenbeanette

greenbeanette Valued Member Member

I guess with the pygmies you could do 6, but I wouldn't put 6 pandas in a ten gallon.

9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Yea. Pandas are too active and too big for a 10.

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Any of the tiny corys would love sand, shrimp would love sand.
    Then lots of plants and Endlers livebearers for the upper parts of the tank :)
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

Right now there's an albino cory, blue paradise, and a male guppy. Would the juli cories be too big?

12. Jaysee

Yes, juliis are one of the larger species. I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but you are likely to experience problems with the paradise fish and guppy in the future.

13. soltarianknight

Yeah.....paradise...not a very nice fish when they get settled in and grow up.

14. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

So it gets more aggressive as it ages? It seems to not even notice the guppy right now...

15. soltarianknight

Give it time, give it time. Also, Cory are group oriented fish. They need schools to function properly in a sense,it may seem fine alone, trust me, its not a happy fish. Unfortunately albinos are normally a color morph of the aneus i believe. They are too big for a 10. You could change him out for a smaller schooling species, like C.pygmaeus (pygmy cory)or such.

16. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

What if I ended up getting three pygmy cories and kept the albino one too?

17. soltarianknight

Probably wouldnt care for them, relations between separate species are vague in general, but between two species of such a size difference, he wouldn't care much. Besides, then the pygmys would feel under numbered.

18. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

What are some good tank mates suited for the blue paradise? He seems to have started the guppy nipping...

19. Jaysee

That didn't take long. The small tank is probably adding to it's aggression.

I wouldn't keep any other fish with it - the tank is just not big enough. It's going to grow to like 5 inches, and only get more aggressive.

20. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

Yeah I know...maybe it's because I forgot to knock on wood. I just noticed that the tail of the guppy that has been regrowing from his past male guppy tank-mates is now spit again and looked a bit more tattered. I don't know why this would be starting up so suddenly though, as just a few days ago the paradise acted like the guppy wasn't there. Even for future use though when I get a bigger tank would you recommend anything else then? Any types of tetras or possibly celestial pearl danios once I have more space? Or do you think that would just be too risky? Or even if I kept him in there would I be able to add any dwarf cichlids or shell-dwellers?