fish that school WITH danios?

1. fbn Well Known Member Member

Hello once again! I was wondering if there are any types of fish that school with danios. They would probably have to be closely related right? My danios are starting to die off, because of reaching their life spans. I have had lots of success with this fish, but I would like to get another specie that does not nip. Are there any others? If so could you please include their temperament? I only have 2 danios now, so I either need more danios or something. Thanks!

2. phil saint Member Member

my wife has a couple of danios in her tank and they school with her black neon tetras and glowlight tetras, both the black neons and the glowlights are a really good community fish iv never had any nippyness in that tank. they are also quite active but you do need to have atleast 4 of them (we have 4 of each) as they like to be in groups.

hope this helps.

Phil.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I had 2 danios and had a huge aggression problem. I had to get 4 more to control the aggression. Mine hang out alone or a little with each other.

4. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I know this is a little strange, but my mollies and danios are like one big rowdy group! I have 4 of each and they seem to be OK atm.
    I have 2 glowlights in with them, but they stick to the bottom, with the danios and mollies mid to top.

5. fbn Well Known Member Member

Well, by this question I do not mean coexist. I mean interschool. i don't want the fish to be lonely, but I don't want more.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I totally understand. But danios don't tend to "school", not in the traditional swim-around-together way, at least not mine.

I don't blame you for not wanting more - I am actually not too crazy about them either (because of the aggression). My plan is to give them to my local fish store. You could consider giving them to someone who already has some... so to the fish store to be rehomed?

7. Camille Member Member

If you plan on getting rid of your danios you should consider replacing them with white cloud mountain minnows. They are very peaceful fish and closley related to danios. In my opinion they are much prettier than danios too. At one point I had a school of them in my tank and they got along great with all of the other fish. If I could I'd get more of them but as you know my tank is overstocked.
    Another fish to take into consideration is the harlequin rasboras they are also very peacful fish and do great in community aquariums.
    I hope this information helps you as much as you have helped me,
    -Camille

8. fbn Well Known Member Member

Camille: I had thought of white clouds. They like cooler temperature, though, right? Meenu: So, if I get other schooling fish, like rasboras or a couple tetras would I have to get a group or 4 or 5 tetras or rasboras? Or would the 2 danios help make a "school", so I would only have to get 2 or 3? Sorry if that doesn't make much snese :). Thanks everyone!! I look forward to the responses!

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

In my opinion, you should get enough to make a school. There is no guarantee that the 2 danios would school with tetras or rasboras, and the schooling fish will feel much more secure with their own friends.

If you keep the danios and don't add more, keep a close eye on them for aggression.

And I was also thinking the same thing about the white clouds... I also thought they prefer cooler water.

10. fbn Well Known Member Member

Okay, another question haha...Since white clouds are closely related, would they do what I asked before (not having to buy a whole school)? Thanks again!

11. Camille Member Member

Hi,
    White clouds do prefer cooler water but I found that they adjust well to higher tropical temperatures or at least mine did anyway... When I had white cloud mountain minnows in my tank the danios didn't really school with them but they did occasionally chase after them and I thought it kind of evened out the aggression of the danios... I hope this helps you.

-Camille

12. Camille Member Member

Hi again,
    I just looked at my aquarium and noticed that my 4 danios, 3 black neon tetras, and lone harlequin rasboras are in a group... My danios are very calm. (they were never calm before until I added the black neons and harlequin). I almost think that if you got more schools of different kinds of fish they would stick together and it would make your danios calmer....

13. fbn Well Known Member Member

Alright! Thanks everyone!