Fish that require the least water.

1. cameronpalte Member Member

I am hoping to buy a 29g (to take care of my goldfish tank that as my goldfish grow will become overcrowded soon), and a 20g for some other fish. In my 20g I want to try to have 5-6 fish, so just wondering what fish do you guys know of that require the least water? Just say like fish name and gallons of water each (I want gallons for them to grow healthy and have nice room:)), if this is not possible than say so...

2. camel89 Initiate Member

Some small tropical community fish should be good in that 20 gal.
    Zebra danios- come in many colors including the bright glofish, need about 10 gal for a few
    White clouds- 5+ gal
    Guppies- 5+ gal
    Platys- 10+ gal

Probably missed a few I'm sure others will add.

Some otocinclus or a few snails to keep the tank free of algae and maybe some cory cats to help keep the bottom clean wouldn't be a bad idea either. But of course you're going to have to wait to get the algae eaters until you start seeing some algae growth, or you're going to have to add algae wafers or something of the sort.

3. TayJay76 Member Member

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. There are no fish that need less water than others. Unless you want a turtle, but that isn't a fish. The less water, the less space that the fish will have, not to mention the oxygen in the water. If there is less water than the ammonia level will increase faster since there is less space. Remember that you are talking about fish which live in water, that is why you fill the tank up to the top other wise the fish will be in a 15 gallon instead of a 29, for example. If your wanting stocking ideas for your 20 gallon then I would recommend some tetras. Since they are schooling fish then I would get at least six, but you should be able to keep up to eight. I'm sure others will have more Ideas for you.

4. camel89 Initiate Member

From what I understood, they want to know what type of fish require the least amount of space in gallons. And for the most part that is going to be the smaller fish as they produce less waste.

5. TayJay76 Member Member

I suppose, but it wouldn't be good for them. I think that cameronpalte should get a smaller tank if he wants less water space. But that doesn't mean it can't be done, its just a little strange. :confused:

6. Fall River Member Member

I would recommend that Cameron first learn about the nitrogen cycle and the space requirements of goldfish.

7. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

Let's keep this separate, for everybody's benefit. For those worried about cameronpalte's goldfish situation:
    cameronpalte's goldfish thread

That way, we can leave this threat to focus on the PROPER stocking of the 20G, so we can help prevent a similar situation with new fish.

8. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

^
    Future Mod :p

I was a little confused as well, but to clarify, I pretty sure the OP wants to know how many fish can be safely stocked in the 20 gallon that would maximize the space with out overstocking.

One thing I would like to know is if this tank is a 20 long or a 20 high? That would change stocking plans quite a bit.

9. cameronpalte Member Member

Its 20 gallons, and I don't know size

10. camel89 Initiate Member

Regular 20 gal tank is higher than a 20 long. A 20 long is about 30 inches long, I believe, and about as high as a 10 gal.

11. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm glad you spelled this out. I'm not having a particularly brainy day but I understood right away. :;laughing

12. TayJay76 Member Member

Haha, I understood about after a couple of posts. I recommended tetras, just depends, some fish like more swimming room, some like more height.

13. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Here's my reccomendations for maxium activity and such with the tank you have.

PLEASE CHECK HOW BIG YOUR TANK IS BEFORE COMMITTING TO ANY OF THESE!

For a 20H tank:
    -List 1:
    10 Neon tetras
    2 Honey Gourami
    2 Male guppies
    5 Red cherry shrimp (maybe?)

-List 2:
    6 Neon tetras
    6 Glolite tetras
    1 Dwarf Gourami

-List 3:
    3 Sparkling gourami
    2 Male Guppies
    2 Platy
    5 otos
    (keep in mind this list you will need to supplement with algae wafers, zuchini, etc daily or every other day)

For a 20L:

-List 1:
    1 Bolivian Ram
    6 Cherry barbs
    6 pygmy cory cats
    3 platy

-List 2:
    1 Dwarf gourami
    6 Micro Rasboras
    6 Pygmy cory cats
    2 platy

-List 3:
    6 Zebra Danio
    1 Honey gourami
    6 Kuhli loaches (<- unsure about kuhlis being in a 20L I think they will be fine tho)
    5 Platy

I'm sure I can think up more. You didn't really pick any fish that you wanted to stock around so I just kind of tried to be creative.

14. cameronpalte Member Member

Wow, thanks for the great post, I really appreccaite the good post e_watson:)... thanks! I will look into this more:)