Fish that need established tank?

Kitley

Well Known
So I have my 75 gallon up and running. It has black course sand substrate. From researching it seems some breeds of fish need an established tank. Mine of course is cycled but not established. It seems the Angel Fish is one to avoid in a new tank...are there any others? Just trying to figure what to sock it with. Thanks.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
As long as your are sure the tank is cycled most fish should be fine. Something like ottos need to have some algae to eat and shrimp need a well established tank with a good supply of bio-film but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would need anything other than a cycled tank.

OP
K

Kitley

Well Known
Great...thanks MattGirl. I used seeded media to cycle, but have yet to see nitrates, so still will need to wait a bit.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
You probably already know this but if there are no fish in there to supply the ammonia be sure to add some to feed the bacteria on the seeded media.

OP
K

Kitley

Well Known
mattgirl said:
You probably already know this but if there are no fish in there to supply the ammonia be sure to add some to feed the bacteria on the seeded media.
Yes, thanks for the reminder. I may actually just buy some Zebra Danios to build it up, then move them to my other 75, when I start stocking.

New Threads