Fish that exceed your expectation ?

Kevinthebreeder

Which fish turned out to be better than you expected ?

Betta'sAnonymous

Snails.

Mightaswell

I'd have to agree with bettasanonymous. Snails have been a huge delight.

RelaxingBettas

I adore my pointy not MTS river snails (the gurus here gave me a good idea what they are, but can't remember, lol) and my ramshorns (enough to resist the siren call of pea puffers with an available tank), but I was always interested in snails (I made an escargot ranch when I was about nine, but I didn't eat them, the neighbors had ducks, the land puffer ), but the biggest surprise, I think, was how cool my ghost shrimp are, once they got thicc and saucy, with the variations in hue and pattern, and how much me and my son would enjoy their antics. They'll slap an inquisitive betta with their antennae away from a cory pellet it's so funny.
I've been trying to think of what bottom action I can get in my newly available (soon) hex, something that won't overpopulate and need to be messed with, something big enough to defend itself, interesting but low key- and this morning I came to the conclusion that corys and amanos out, ghosties in (I'm of the thought that if you can, and you must move a creature from its home, it should be an upgrade)- now, what next, lol. Talk me down from pea puffers I love my invertebrates!

NofishB4

For me it is rummynose. I always overlooked them for brighter, flashier, more heavily bodied fish. They just always seemed dull. But they are a delight to watch school and constantly in motion and yet don’t harass each other or other fish too much. They are always in that middle region which is often empty.

I also love our purple mystery snail and rabbit snails.

jkkgron2

Shell dwellers have exceeded my expectations. I always liked them, but they have way better personalities than I expected. I also didn’t expect them to breed, so raising the fry is a very welcome and interesting surprise.

A201

Red Tail Loaches (Y. Modesta). A very active Botia & great scavenger. One of the bigger, more colorful, aquarium Loaches. Looks similar to the Red Tail Shark. A very underrated Loach.

Kevinthebreeder

@NofishB4 : Love my rummy noses. They're the most active ones in my tank (After I got rid of the danios.).

Spudsssy

Hoplosternum catfish. Boatloads of personality and all of them ate out of my hand first day getting them... one day I will have a big enough tank again and keep 20 of them!!

Donovan Jones

Kahlil loaches and pygmy killies. The former because stripy noodle go wiggle
The latter because they look so simple but are extremely intelligent and ravenous

RelaxingBettas

Donovan Jones said:
Kahlil loaches and pygmy killies. The former because stripy noodle go wiggle
The latter because they look so simple but are extremely intelligent and ravenous
When I was little my friends had a kuhli loach and I was so envious, and every time I go to the LFS they are out- I have wanted a gentle and non predatious bottom roaming fish for my Myanmar hex tank I'm doing (probably for tiger dario and those green danio/raspboras I can't remember- I have to keep the bioload so low! We'll see how aquabid goes, lol). Do you think stripey wiggle noodles would be a good choice, if I luck out and they're actually in stock once?

Donovan Jones

If its a 20 and u want low bioload u can add like 8 and then a school of nqno fish

LouPey

For me it is a toss up between my bristlenose plec and dwarf gourami.

The dwarf gourami was my reluctant alternative purchase to getting an opaline gourami but now I absolutely love her sass and colour.

Bristlenose plec, because I've only ever seen them as scary dinosaur like creatures but got them in tribute to my daddy who liked them and this plec is actually super cute and always out and animated!

Kribensis27

Kribs, of course, and SNAILS! Snails of all types! Assassin, bladder, pond, apple, mystery, ramshorn, rabbit, nerite, MTS, faunus ater, some others I can't remember, and various MN native snails. They're not technically fish, but I LOVE THEM!!! I've kept them for almost 11 years now, if you consider when I was 3 years old keeping them in my betta tank to eat lettuce and algae .

I started researching them around 10 years ago, and haven't stopped since! Now they're the main inhabitants in my tanks. I'm trying to get ahold of some less common snails too, but it's hard finding them from decent sellers. Half the time it's also because I don't feel comfortable shipping snails in MN, where the weather is usually extreme heat or extreme cold. Snails are probably the thing I love the most about my tanks. Anyway, snails.

CHJ

I had high hopes for Nibbles and he has exceeded them. He is a wonderful water puppy (Mbu)
Haplos are so much fun to watch. As something I just got to breed they are a complete delight.

Fae

Surprisingly a female betta in my community tank. Not sure what I expected, but I didn't expect what I got! She is so friendly and energetic and interesting. So much personality, and never has any problems with any other fish. Compared to my angry boi flower who kills any shrimp prettier than him in his 5.5... lol
I think part of it might be the way I picked my female betta. All the healthy ones with nice colour I pulled out from the rest and sat them next to each other to gauge their reaction to other fish. The more calm ones I then help up to a big tank full of tetras. I went with the one who seemed the most okay with other fish. Seems to have worked but dang I didn't expect all the spice and good moods too

AverageDewdrop

Angels and my big sailfin pleco.

My pleco is so very beautiful and active. I love watching him swim around the tank

Kevinthebreeder

Fae said:
Surprisingly a female betta in my community tank. Not sure what I expected, but I didn't expect what I got! She is so friendly and energetic and interesting. So much personality, and never has any problems with any other fish. Compared to my angry boi flower who kills any shrimp prettier than him in his 5.5... lol
I think part of it might be the way I picked my female betta. All the healthy ones with nice colour I pulled out from the rest and sat them next to each other to gauge their reaction to other fish. The more calm ones I then help up to a big tank full of tetras. I went with the one who seemed the most okay with other fish. Seems to have worked but dang I didn't expect all the spice and good moods too
What's their tank mates ?

mistyseim

For me, it's always Betta. I have mine for more than 2 years already, and she's still doing fine. They are one of the lowest maintenance fish. Not only are they low maintenance, but they also exhibit brilliantly bright colors in a variety of shades.

goldface

When I purchased my otocinclus a few years ago, its algae-eating reputation was secondary to my interest in the fish in its entirety. But I didn't really have any algae issues; so I couldn't say too much about its efficacy at the time, until I purchased 2 more several days ago for my 40g, and the difference in just the second day is incredible. My tank was a green mess with green hair and fuzz algae growing everywhere--walls on all four panels, pieces of driftwood, stones, and filter intake. Instead of scrubbing and removing the algae, I let it continue to grow as I thought to myself, this will make a great tank for a few algae eaters. Now the aquarium looks like I scrubbed and cleaned it myself. This led me to further confirm my success with keeping them has to do with having them singly or in small numbers vs. a larger school now that I witness how much they consume. A school of 6-12 in a 20g? Forget it (unless you can get them on commercial food early on)!

Jaehem

I had a Dwarf Gourami and he was a very good looking fish. Pretty hearty too I was surprised. They have good personalities and can be extremely vibrant and beautiful as a tank center piece.

QCAquaholic

Delcos

My Bolivian Ram, I bought it just to eat guppy fry in my community tank and it became my favorite fish, never ate the fry though...

jake37

I'm really happy with my hongsloi. They aren't super-red like coralbandit but I'm pretty happy with them. I also have a special liking for nijsseni and nannacara. I can't vote on gold rams yet since mine seem to die after 9 or 10 months. After i move and have a better environment for them I will be setting up a tank with 10 or 20 various rams.
-
I'm also really happy with my lemon BN. He finally managed to talk the clown loach into switching places with him so now he hangs out in front every day. Probably waiting for me to give him a treat.

coralbandit

jake37 said:
I'm really happy with my hongsloi. They aren't super-red like coralbandit but I'm pretty happy with them. I also have a special liking for nijsseni and nannacara. I can't vote on gold rams yet since mine seem to die after 9 or 10 months. After i move and have a better environment for them I will be setting up a tank with 10 or 20 various rams.
-
I'm also really happy with my lemon BN. He finally managed to talk the clown loach into switching places with him so now he hangs out in front every day. Probably waiting for me to give him a treat.
I don't have any apisto anymore .
I think the difference you see is yours is a hongslio , while mine were hongslio Rostritch strain ..The Rostrich are know for the added brilliant red .
I really miss fish auctions / swap meets as some of my best playing with quality fish for fun came from those venues ..So great to go meet the breeder and see the fish ..Fish keeping would be so much easier for all if they just had quality fish IMO..I hope events can happen again some day ..:confused:

I guess I could say rams and my clown loaches have exceeded my expectations .
I am constantly amazed at both ..
Some of my clown loaches are over 20 years old with me and my rams just make me feel special and very lucky ..
I never thought I would be a 'successful' breeder of any fish ,but the rams chose me more then I chose them !
Do what you are good at ...

StarGirl

Im having more fun with my 5g Invert tank right now. The RCS, Nerites (I have not been able to get until recently) and some Scuds. They are so interesting to watch.
Fish ............I love my Cardinals.

86 ssinit

Fork tail rainbow fish. Never seen them before so I bought a dozen. No clue about them at all. Put them in a ram tank and they were just great. Good looking fish that constantly moved and schooled on the top of the tank. Never got big. They were about an inch long. Made the mistake of starting discus and they just couldn’t take the warmer water. So I moved them into my 90 and before I realized my golden wonder ate them all .

Mudminnow

Not many people seem to keep U.S. native fish, so when I first collected a few (back when I lived in a state where all you needed was a fishing license to legally do so), I didn't know what to expect. But, they are awesome: shiners, sunfish, darters, mudminnows, etc. I really miss being able to collect and keep my own fish. But, keeping them was definitely better than I initially expected.

jake37

I have 8 of them - not sure what to make of them - they have funny fins and what-have-you. Kind of prefer the kubotai and galaxy rasbora - but mostly the kubotai.
-
I don't have a golden wonder so i'm not expect them to be eaten any-time soon.
-
I guess you have a very happy golden wonder but maybe it isn't wonderful.

86 ssinit said:
Fork tail rainbow fish. Never seen them before so I bought a dozen. No clue about them at all. Put them in a ram tank and they were just great. Good looking fish that constantly moved and schooled on the top of the tank. Never got big. They were about an inch long. Made the mistake of starting discus and they just couldn’t take the warmer water. So I moved them into my 90 and before I realized my golden wonder ate them all .

Kribensis27

Mudminnow said:
Not many people seem to keep U.S. native fish, so when I first collected a few (back when I lived in a state where all you needed was a fishing license to legally do so), I didn't know what to expect. But, they are awesome: shiners, sunfish, darters, mudminnows, etc. I really miss being able to collect and keep my own fish. But, keeping them was definitely better than I initially expected.
I love my bluegills. I caught them when they were tiny babies a number of years ago.

They remind me a lot of larger cichlids like geos, oscars, and dempseys, but the aggression level is low and they don’t require a heater. They also don’t get quite as big (in most cases).

They also don’t care very much about conditions compared to other fish. They can handle high ph or blackwater without issue.

They’re even plant safe! Mine have never bothered my plants unless they’re digging a nest after pairing up.

I just wish there was more info available on them. I had to just go with trial and error until I figured out what worked for me.

Cody

Angelfish

I was never a huge fan but my wife really liked them and I wanted something to feel like hers. They are personable and are versatile for there size as the list of what works with them seems to be larger then what doesn’t work.

They aren’t the big brutes like many other cichlids but they become a nice center piece pair or an awesome group. Also the color variations let’s you keep things interesting even you own them for many years.

Joshtank

Blue Tetras and my Nerite snails those little guys can eat! The blue tetras just add so much life to the tank with their movement very active fish.

Zach72202

Something I never really thought I would like too much, but I just got a trio of is Clown Killi's to be exact. I have seen Gardneri killis and I have wanted them, but never really cared all too much. I just got these killi's a week or so ago and I honestly think they have loads of personality.

bcsay720

My glowlight tetras. I was told they would not survive their bought of fungus from the pet store, but it's been months, and they're going strong. I do have recurring fungus with a few of them (it's not the water quality. It's just how it be sometimes. I'm working on a solution), but they always pull through in good spirits and good health.

Fae

Kevinthebreeder said:
What's their tank mates ?
Sorry just saw this now, but if you're still interested the community is tank number one if you click on aquarium details by my name on this post

FishSupreme

Otocinclus. I first got them as algae eaters for cherry shrimp in my first aquarium where I really tried. Being my "first" aquarium I lost 3 of them. The ones that survived warmed my heart whenever I saw their full fat bellies.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom