Fish that eat waste?- Trying to help overcrowding.

1. cameronpalte Member Member

So, I was misinformed by the pet store and as a result bought 4 little goldfish (~1 inch) in a 20 gallon tank. I understand that I will need to move them soon, but until I can afford a new tank, (soon hopefully), I was wondering if their are any bottom dweller that I can put in the bottom of the thank that won't give off a lot of waste and can help take in some of the waste that the goldfish drop. I appreciate your help:) If there aren't any, just say so:).

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

No fish that I know of eats poop. Just your gravel vac does that. I'd personally just return them since you don't know how soon you can upgrade. Goldies are just messy little bugars!

How'd you cycle your tank? You mentioned in your aquarium info that you started it on the 25th of this month which means its only two days old (which also means the goldies should still be returnable) I've never seen a tank cycle that fast.

3. kimoore Member Member

the only water creature that I am aware of that eats fish poop, are sea cucumbers. Unfortunatly, goldfish produce a lot of waste and the people at the pet store need a swift kick in the.... head... ya, head, that works! Something that might help though, is getting a bigger filter and over filtering your tank.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If it eats, it poops!

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry, no help for you on this one. There's no fish you can add to fix overcrowding.

6. kimoore Member Member

wurd....

7. cameronpalte Member Member

Actually my fish are older than that by almost a month. My parents are persian (please don't start a religious debate about what I'm going to say, try to keep your opions to yourself...), and for persian new year, the belief for good luck is to keep 2-6 goldfish in a small fish bowl. My parents bought some, and in the few weeks that they were in the fish bowl, 2 of them died.

I finally managed to convince my parents to take me out and get me the 20g tank to keep them, so while the acquarium is that age, the fish are not.

I am hoping to be able to maybe get a larger tank for the 4 goldfish and maybe turn the 20g into a school of neon tetra's.

On the bright side, my parents see that I really enjoy this and notice I've been working better so are allowing me to get some more stuff soon:).

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thats interesting, though, really. Its fun seeing what other cultures and such come up with. :)

They're starting to come around, thats good :) Parents like to see their kids do what they like to do, so that works out for you, in the end :p

9. cameronpalte Member Member

I hope so, having the 4 fish in the 1 gallon tank was trecherous to say the least. You could literally see the layer of film on the bottom. I tried to feed them regularly, and did 1-2 water changes/day to try to remove fish but I went to bed and then woke up and...

10. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Once your tank is cycled try some shrimp. Just as long as your goldfish are still small! I just wouldn't add them now cause they are a little more sensitive than fish to certain water parameters. They add very little to the bioload and not only scavenge/clean the tank for scraps, they will munch on many types of algae (depending on the kind). I would opt for amano shrimp if you can. They can grow to about 1.5-2" (females get bigger) and are transparent so shouldn't be in much harm as long as they have some places for cover. They eat everything: alright at simple algae grazing/picking, will eat leftover food at bottom of the tank, and I have even seen them munching on my pleco's poop! So there you go. And he poops like a champ. Or try out ghost shrimp. They are much cheaper (so not a big deal if you lose 1 or 2 or 5), also transparent, get about the same size as amanos, and also have a touch of aggression if need be. These guys are amazing scavengers. They will not touch algae, that I've seen, but will eat Anything!

Or like others have stated, stick to water changes and gravel vacs. and invest in the best filter you can. if you have more questions this forum gives great advice. stick around, you'll learn a ton!

11. Shine Well Known Member Member

There is no point in shrimp to scavenge or "pick up leftovers" in a goldfish tank. Goldies don't tend to leave any food behind and do a pretty quick job on algae as well. Adding more critters to feed (and thus as akari said; poop) is not going to help with cleanliness or overcrowding.

Good luck with getting a bigger tank for your goldies :) They are one of my favorites

12. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok then, I guess there is really nothing I can do... thanks for all of your advice.

13. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes there is. It's called water changes with gravel vacs or a properly sized tank. Not even live plants could keep up with the waste 4 goldfish will create in an overcrowded tank.

14. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Sadly, because of your cultural beliefs, we cannot give you a solution that will work for you and the fish. Sorry we couldn't be of more help.

15. cameronpalte Member Member

I already do regular water changes, with gravel vacuums, and take care of them the best I can. They are only ~1 inch long so I am hoping they won't be hurt until I move them into a proper tank.

Thanks for your advice.

16. cameronpalte Member Member

Iranian new year is over, so the cultural beliefs shouldn't really affect things anymore. I convinced my mom to get me a 20g, but no more (soon I may get another 20 or 29, and a 55:)). I explained my mom the torture the belief was putting the fish through, and she got it about what happened.

It's ok you couldn't be of more help, I really appreciate you all trying.