Fish that eat snail eggs?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by FredBjammin, Apr 9, 2010.

1. FredBjamminValued MemberMember

Does anybody know of any freshwater fish that likes to eat snail eggs and at the same time plays nice with other fish?

2. ilikefishValued MemberMember

I know clown loaches are very gentle community fish that will eat snails... but i'm not sure about the eating snail eggs...

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

You need a really big tank for clown loaches, though, I think. They get really big.

4. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Any fish with a decent sized mouth should I would think.

Brian

5. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Meenu is right Clown Loaches....get HUGE!!! lol. You could get a puffer...they'll eat the snails when they hatch lol. Other then that any type of cichlid would do....most will eat them....

6. FredBjamminValued MemberMember

It's a 40G tall tank, with guppies, tetras and zebra fish.

Out of the Puffer and the Clown Loaches who plays better with my small community fish? And how big do the Clown Loaches get?

My snail pop was under control for last 3 months, I love the benefits of snails, but the last couple of weeks I've pulling out 25-30 snails a day off glass by the water surface of the my tank. My fern plants are just caked with egg sacks and snails! My plants don't look so well either.

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The clowns would play better but they can get 12-14 inches and you need to keep them in a group of three or more so I imagine clowns are out.
    Usually reducing amount of food at each feeding and keeping up with water changes and substrate vacuums will keep any snails in check. A few snails are good for your tank. They eat left over food and keep the substrate loose.
    carol

8. FredBjamminValued MemberMember

I cut back the food in half about week ago. I feed my fish twice a day, but I cut on down on the amounts. Should I just start feeding them once a day? or just give it more time (twice a day but less food)?

Thanks for the input!

P.S. When it comes to my live plants, is it safe to pull them out and rinse the egg sacks off? Just started using live plants around christmas, so I'm still learning about my plants.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure about the plants, but I dont think the plants will like it. Snail eggs are layed out of water so are the plants over the water line?

10. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

It depends on what kind of snails they are as to whether they are laid out of water.
    Mystery snails, apple snails etc. lay eggs above the water line and it's very easy to remove their eggs.
    Pond snails and other nuisance snails lay their eggs in a gelatinous glob.
    Malaysian Trumpet Snails are live bearers and have approx one baby a month.

you really don't want to pull your plants up, rinse them off and re plant. Plants don't like that much :)

Use your fingers to remove as many as you can off your plants.
    Remembering that a fishes stomach is about the size of one eye helps keep in perspective how much food they need. They will eat what ever you put in there but that will result in more waste.
    I think you need to give it a little more time. remember when you do water changes to aggressively clean the substrate. Siphon out any visible egg sacs.
    Hang in there! Keep us posted :)
    Carol

11. FredBjamminValued MemberMember

The plants are about 10 inches high, 2 fern plants and not sure what kind of plant the 3rd one is and my tank is 24 inches high. The larger older snails hang out on my plants and the tinny new ones like to climb just to the surface of the water and hang out on the glass in the mornings.

The snail sacks are clear goo with little white eggs and are mainly laid on the lower halfs of my fern plants. The snails themselves start out a light/brown and turn dark brown the older they get. The older ones are about the size of a BB with a slight circular twist at the back of their shells.

Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you guys posted.

12. btate617Well Known MemberMember

If they are in a cluster you could just remove them to the trash when you notice a new batch.

Brian

13. ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

14. FredBjamminValued MemberMember

Assassin Snails, is he messing with me? Is there such a thing?

OK, so I find the name Antentome helena when I type in assassin snails, but I can't find any info on them, or who carries them... even though they are about $7 for one according to some web post.

15. ilikefishValued MemberMember

Check out Aquabid.com You can get them for 3$ a piece plus 5$ shipping and handling... they exist and they eat snails! they do however not like salt... at all... but they are awesome looking! And awesome working!

16. ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

Check out the link. There are lots of places to get them. I've seen them for as little as $1.79 in pet store.

17. FredBjamminValued MemberMember

Wow! that's just about the coolest thing I have ever read, thanks for the link. I want to get some just to see them in action!

Well, I finally have an off day, so I have to do some gravel cleaning, a small water change and pick another batch of 30 baby snails off of my glass.

Thank you to all of you for your info!

18. ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

You are most welcome and I hope you find some assassin snails soon.

19. potatosValued MemberMember

very thorough gravel vacuums, along with reduced feeding should control their population. placing a blanched lettuce leaf in a cup in the tank overnight will attract the snails as well. then remove the cup with the snails.

20. FredBjamminValued MemberMember

Picked up 2 weather loaches a couple of days ago. Only had few new baby snails this morning on the glass and no egg sacks on my fern plants!

I think cutting back the food and adding the loaches is doing it's thing. I still want to get some assassin snails for one of my other tanks.

Looks like all your advice is paying off, thanks guys.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010