Fish that do well in a hexagon tank?

mearatiara

Member
Hi, I just recently got a GREAT deal on a 60 gallon hexagon aquarium. What fish should I add? And how many of each? I haven't had fish in years, so I'm a little inexperienced!
 

nicole4434

Member
What are the measurements if its got a decent swimming length than any fish will do fine, a center piece fish that comes to mind for that tank would be an angel fish, but remember they get about 7 inches wide and they are very tall fish
 

LiterallyHydro

Member
I wouldn't do an angelfish in a tank that is less than 4' long, to be honest.

Your best bet with a hex tank would be a large school of small fish like tetras. With a 60 hex I would personally do a bunch of neon tetras in a heavily planted tank. Maybe a honey gouramI for a centerpiece.
 
  • Thread Starter

mearatiara

Member
I'm actually not sure of the measurements. I'd have to measure when I get home! Would guppies be okay? Here is a picture I took last night. It looks like it has more surface area than other hex tanks I've seen, but who knows!
 

ClearEyes

Member
Welcome to Fishlore!

Guppies should be okay, I would think.

For a centerpiece, I'd go with maybe a pearl or flame gourami.
 

Dom90

Member
Guppies would be alright, but then your other fish will have to be non-aggressive and 2" at the most.
 

skar

Member
You have allot of options.
I have a hexagon tank with allot of different fish that really do well.
I agree to go planted and a community aquarium I think it will look great.
 
  • Thread Starter

mearatiara

Member
What are y'alls opinions about Angelfish? I know I couldn't put them with guppies, but read they get along well with Gouramis, which I love. Could I even have any community fish if I got Angels since they can be aggressive?

skar said:
You have allot of options.
I have a hexagon tank with allot of different fish that really do well.
I agree to go planted and a community aquarium I think it will look great.
What fish do you have and how big is your hex tank?
 

skar

Member
I wouldn't do an angelfish ....
I would go with small peaceful community fish.. But that's what I like and I've never tried angels before.
I have a 40 gal hex


This is a older picture of it, I've cleaned it up a bit...
 

LiterallyHydro

Member
mearatiara said:
I'm actually not sure of the measurements. I'd have to measure when I get home! Would guppies be okay? Here is a picture I took last night. It looks like it has more surface area than other hex tanks I've seen, but who knows!

Unrelated, but is that an undergravel filter you're planning on running in there? I'd use anything but one of those things. They really become a detritus trap underneath that plate. You can pick up a decent canister filter online for $50-100 for a tank that size.

And yeah, I would stick with fish that are less than 3" max. Schooling fish a max of 2" I would say. The unfortunate thing about hex tanks is that even though that there is 60 gallons, you don't have nearly as many options as say a 55 or 75 gallon rectangular aquarium.
 

nicole4434

Member
Well if you can't do angels because of the measurements, what about a dwarf cichlid, like a breeding pair of blue rams, they are fine as community fish and I had them with guppies before, I have them in a 75 gallon now and they do fine with my angel fish, gold barbs, cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras
 

Dom90

Member
nicole4434 said:
Well if you can't do angels because of the measurements, what about a dwarf cichlid, like a breeding pair of blue rams, they are fine as community fish and I had them with guppies before, I have them in a 75 gallon now and they do fine with my angel fish, gold barbs, cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras
A breeding pair of blue rams may not do so well in a community tank, as Gena probably knows as much..
 
  • Thread Starter

mearatiara

Member
LiterallyHydro said:
Unrelated, but is that an undergravel filter you're planning on running in there? I'd use anything but one of those things. They really become a detritus trap underneath that plate. You can pick up a decent canister filter online for $50-100 for a tank that size.

And yeah, I would stick with fish that are less than 3" max. Schooling fish a max of 2" I would say. The unfortunate thing about hex tanks is that even though that there is 60 gallons, you don't have nearly as many options as say a 55 or 75 gallon rectangular aquarium.
Yes, it's a filter! I had no idea that they weren't to useful. I did more research and thank you so much for pointing that out! I can't believe fish can get caught and die... Would have never thought. Thank you so much for the advice. I definitely won't get any fish over 2-3".
 

pugletfan

Member
Harlequin Raspboras are a nice peaceful schooling fish! They are hardy too.
 

skar

Member
  • Thread Starter

mearatiara

Member
Do blue rams get along with gouramis? I'm going to start cycling water, so I have enough time to pick of course!
 

skar

Member
If you get one gbr or two female blue rams ... Maybe .
 

nicole4434

Member
mearatiara said:
Do blue rams get along with gouramis? I'm going to start cycling water, so I have enough time to pick of course!
It depends on what type of gouramI you get, I have 1 male Blue Ram and 3 female Blue Rams with 1 Male neon Blue Gourami, 1 male honey gouramI and 2 female honey gourami's and they get on good they don't bother the Angel Fish or any of the schooling fish but I have a 75 gallon tank and there is plenty of Plants and Sight Blockers.

Sparkling Gourami's are very peaceful and can be kept in groups, I was worried about having 2 males in the tank but mine have been fine
 

BDpups

Member
Rather than trying to mix and match what may or may not work, this would make a wonderful tank for small schooling species. Tetra, rasboras, and barbs would all fit nicely in there. Pick one you like and fill it up with those.
 

Anders247

Member
Have you decided on anything yet?
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom