Fish That Can Take A Nipping

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 20-gallon tall tank with four guppies after one very nippy one took out my neon tetras... is there any fish that can go with them that can take the nipping/will finally put that guppy in his place?

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of things that can take a nipping, most of them would put the guppy in place too much tho. Why dont you mention your stocking first of all so we can think about a plan?

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BeanFish said:
There are a lot of things that can take a nipping, most of them would put the guppy in place too much tho. Why dont you mention your stocking first of all so we can think about a plan?
It's only the four guppies, all male.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get them some girl friends and your troubles are over lol. Guppies breed and eat. It's all they do. Half of that is missing so they have nothing else to do but cause trouble.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its hard to give suggestions for fish that can take nipping without them nipping as well. Male guppies are such a big target for fin nippers. I like the idea of adding additional females so there busy, but what would you do with all the fry.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dave125g said:
Its hard to give suggestions for fish that can take nipping without them nipping as well. Male guppies are such a big target for fin nippers. I like the idea of adding additional females so there busy, but what would you do with all the fry.
I sell them because my breeding stock is nice. It's not for everyone. Guppy fry will quickly over run a tank not filled with predators. I don't have any trouble from my males in a Co-ed tank. As soon as you get three or six males alone is when the trouble potentially starts.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OnTheFly said:
I sell them because my breeding stock is nice. It's not for everyone. Guppy fry will quickly over run a tank not filled with predators. I don't have any trouble from my males in a Co-ed tank. As soon as you get three or six males alone is when the trouble potentially starts.
Agree. If this tank is a 20 long I'd suggest zebra danios there fast enough to avoid fin nipping.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom