Fish that are similar to arowanas?

joeshmoe1435

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I really like arowanas. They are just such an interesting fish. But, the problem is the size. I was wondering if anyone knows any different fish that look similar to arowanas, but don't get to be so huge. I do have a golden killifish and that is a pretty close comparison, but I was wondering if there are other known ones.

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've owned a couple of Red Tailed Barracuda's. They are solitary animals, getting a foot in length and need at least 75 gallons. They have little minute teeth and are predators. Pretty interesting fish to own.

Dondomingo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are many varieties of Knife fish, they vary in size and colors. My favorite being the ghost knife ofcourse. They require a lot of room as well, then again most of the biger fish do.

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DINOSAUR BICHIR. Lol just saying. One of my favorite fish. But grows to be I think a bit over a foot?

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Saratoga - Scleropages leichardti

They still get pretty big. In the wild, they do occasionally get to 100cmm. I probably wouldn't keep one in anything less than an 8'x3' tank........

OK, so pretty much exactly the same requirements really!

Sorry, that was not very helpful

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There *are* smaller arowana, but the smaller they get, the larger the price tag, it seems. But there are a few that stay about about a foot or so.

Zachary

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you looked into African Butterfly Fish? They're closely related to arowana, and they have a similarly shaped head/mouth, but they only grow to about 3". I used to have one and he was easily my favorite fish.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Akari_32 said:
There *are* smaller arowana, but the smaller they get, the larger the price tag, it seems. But there are a few that stay about about a foot or so.
There are no Arowanas that stay a foot or so. The smallest grow to 3 feet.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom