Fish that are happy without conspecifics?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Altaira, Jul 27, 2015.

1. A

Altaira New Member Member

I have a 45 gal. tall that's almost two months running. Most of the fish I want are schooling, so I'd like one "specimen" fish who's a little larger than the rummy-noses I already have. I just got a (hopefully) female gold gourami to fill this role, but now I'm reading that they should be kept in multiples.

Anybody have ideas on a fish that's happy without same-species tank mates?

Thanks!

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

You could do a DG, honey, pearl (maybe) gourami, krib, gernan blue ram, Bolivian ram. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. M

MrTao New Member Member

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Bettas aren't generally recommended with community tanks. It can be done, but often bettas attack other fish.

I second a dwarf gourami! They're quite happy by themselves.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Gold gouramis don't need to be kept in multiples...... they are a variant of the blue gourami.

7. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to meet you! :D :;hi1

Bettas in community tanks, especially ones stocked like these, should be approached with extreme caution, so I don't think that bettas would be the best fish for this setup. :)

8. OP
    OP
    A

Altaira New Member Member

Thanks! That's what I was hoping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice