Fish Tb?????????? Help

1. I

Ihave26bettainonetank New Member Member

I have nieces that love playing with my fish tank. I'm worried about them getting TB, what can I do?

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

What do you mean bu playing with your fish. I wouldnt let kids put their hands in the tank at all.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Don’t let them put their hands in the tank. Also, Ive worked at a lfs for 2 years, and have fish at home. I’ve never even heard of anyone getting that, nor have I gotten it. Moreover, TB is easily treated with antibiotics.

4. OP
    OP
    I

Ihave26bettainonetank New Member Member

^ I can't control them :

5. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

Smack their hands and say "No! Bad child!"

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Just scare them with stories of fish TB.... tell them that their ears will fall off

7. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

I’d be more concerned about the welfare of the fish with kids dirty hands in my tanks!

Seriously that’s such bad behaviour! Give them a slap.

8. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, my eldest daughter has also worked in an aquatics shop for several years & she has recently been diagnosed with 'fish TB' & had a nasty lesion on her hand but as you say it has been treated with antibiotics & has healed up in a mater of a few months.

9. Lagertha

Google fish TB images and show the (bratty) kids. That will stop them doing it.

10. Seasoldier

How old are your nieces? I don't go with the smack 'em advice, anybody did that to my kids family or not would be dealing with one seriously aggravated father (as my mother in law once found out). My advice would be to sit them down if they're old enough to understand & explain that their behaviour is not good for them as they could catch a disease from the water because the fish poo in it & also tell them that they could kill the fish & how would they feel about that, that should do the trick.

11. Lagertha

I’m sorry I just HATE kids.

12. Seasoldier

Oh don't get me wrong, I smacked my kids backside a few times when they were growing up & crossed the line, I just wouldn't allow anybody else to do it (except their Mum of course), and I also hate kids who don't behave themselves (& their parents for allowing them to be brats :mad:).

13. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Sounds like some very bad luck, always wash your hands frequently.

14. Lagertha

Agreed!

I’m not a fan of kids. Never have been. I like animals better.

15. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

Yes, exactly!

16. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

If you do want to let your nieces help with tank cleaning time, you should! It's a great way for them to learn compassion and how much responsibility pet ownership is. Make it a teaching opportunity involving washing hands before and after. Check their hands for cuts or broken skin first - someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've read that TB can only be contracted when there's a break in tissue.

17. Lagertha

I’m not sure to be honest.

I mean, I have horses too so my hands tend to be a little worse for wear and I’m always getting my hands in my tanks for maintenance but I ALWAYS make sure they’re clean.

I didn’t know about fish TB until this thread.