Fish TB?!?!?!?!?

1. bobthebadger53 Well Known Member Member

My 10 gallon tank has been ravaged by something. Since May, I have lost both of my guppies and three of my four albino cories.
    The parameters are mostly at their normal levels, although the pH was slightly higher than usual.
    The thing is, my cories have displayed many of the symptoms of fish tuberculosis that I have read about. They hid in the corner and got really pale, one lay on its side with a sunken belly, lots of bad things.
    Is this fish tuberculosis?
    What in the world should I do with my poor remaining cory? If it is TB, I'm assuming he's infected. I'm trying to start up a 55 gallon, but I don't want to add infected fish.

2. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Just make sure after all this to clean your tools and everything. Really hard to tell without more info... since all fish change color or pale out when sick and when dead. And sunken belly could mean parasites. What I'm saying is don't jump to the worse thing out there until you know for sure. If I remember correctly tb would have killed more then half your fish but in a shorter time period. Let me google and edit this post.

I'm skipping the whole asking about your tank perms since you have more posts then me and I figure you know about the same as anyone else's here.
    Okay those details about your sick fish, those "other bad things" we need to know. Bent back and sores with in a couple weeks killing half if not all your fish would sound more like TB. Ive seen tb clear massive tanks in a few days before. Here's a good link from someone that will help. So far I'd say you could have parasites since all I got is pale and sunken belly (parasites can spread very fast if all the fish happen to take a bite of a infected fish, or external parasites can transfer by just contact)
    Http://www.petbrags.com/m/blogpost?id=1002763:BlogPost:166485

3. FiscCyning Member Member

I'm sorry that you've lost some of your fish. Although that could be fish TB, it also sounds like it could be a few other things. To rule out other possibilities, could you give us a little more information about your tank and water parameters?

How long has the 10 gallon been running and is it fully cycled? Have you tested your water - especially ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates - and what were the levels. How often do you do water changes? Do you feed the cories sinking food that you're sure the other fish don't steal?

I know it seems like a lot of questions but the more information we have the more we can help!

4. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

I still kinda have to agree with the above post... if you can post the last few recordings of your water perms within the last few weeks. But fish don't stand back and let others take the food if they are healthy and hungry. They will fight for the food. Wouldn't you?

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry to hear about the dead fish :( your profile description of the 10 gallon does not mention the guppies. Were they new fish? Which fish was sick first and what were all of the symptoms? Did you see a sunken chest in combination with an extremely deformed spine for some days?

TB can be a tricky bug to pin down; it is generally a slow killer that mainly strikes overcrowded tanks. An added difficulty is that there are actually about half a dozen different kinds of mycobacteria with TB being just one of them. These other bacterial infections have symptoms in common with some viral and parasitic illnesses.

At any rate, be very cautious. Wash well, avoid cross-contamination, and use gloves. If you do lose all the fish, do a thorough tear down, spraying your nonporous equipment with rubbing alcohol and allowing to air dry.

6. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Well I guess I was wrong about that one

7. bobthebadger53 Well Known Member Member

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 20
    pH: ~7.4 (up from 7.0)

The tank has been established for about eight months I think. The guppies were added at the same time as the cories. I didn't see any curved spines.

8. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Could you post any photos?

If nothing new has been introduced in eight months, then I would say that it is some kind of bacterial infection. Since you have not seen any strange spines, It means it is less likely to be TB, but I am still unable to rule it out. There is a universe of bacteria out there, and I just cannot say which one(s) would be causing your situation.

you could have the remains of one of the fish tested to see if a particular Mycobacterium killed it. I myself have not done this, but others on FishLore have. You would at least know from that if your last Cory has come into contact with something on that level.

9. bobthebadger53 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately I do not have any photos. The lone survivor seems to be acting normal, and I really want to start stocking my 55 gallon.
    I really, really do not want to contaminate the new tank, so am I right to assume that I shouldn't transfer him over? What should I do with him?
    I think I'm going to buy a different type of corydoras (suggestions?). If this last albino survives and is healthy, will he shoal with another type?

10. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I would not myself feel comfortable moving him over and would keep him in this 10 gallon for two months. I know that's long, but that's how badly I've been burned. It is hard because Cories are very social fish and keeping one in solitary confinement feels exceptionally cruel.

But yes, he will shoal with other types of Cories and not just with other aenus color morphs.

11. bobthebadger53 Well Known Member Member

I definitely agree that it is better not to risk anything. The problem is that I was planning to use the 10 gallon for quarantine, although I do have a spare 5 gallon that I suppose would do the trick.

12. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

You could turn your 5 gallon into a quarantine for this Cory cat and redo the 10 gallon as a QT. Seed the filter for the 5 gallon with material from the filter for the 55. After the cory is out of there, tear down the 10 gallon completely, spray the nonporous surfaces (including the lid) well with 70% isopropyl alcohol, and allowed to air dry. You can also soak cotton balls in the rubbing alcohol and wipe down any power cords. Toss all substrate into a planter or the yard and compost the plants.