FISH TB?? Please help!!!!!!

Ian Tankers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I posted yesterday that my platy was acting strange and today I came home and noticed it lying in the back of the tank sideways. I assumed it was dead so I prepared to take it out. As I was lifting up the lid it started swimming sideways and it’s spine was curved. It swam against the glass then It went back to the spot and kept resting there. Is The bent spine a tb symptom? It also has a bump on its tail that has gotten bigger in the last week but it has been there for a while.
parameters look good and it’s a 20 gal with only none other platy at the moment. I haven’t had a death in about 4 or five months and haven’t added fish in about a year. This guy is about a year and half old (I bought him 1 1/2 year ago.
Please help!! I really hope this isn’t Tb and I scared myself reading a ton of articles about it lol.

UPDATE:
He occasionally will get up and swim around but very erratically and sideways

Attachments

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I haven’t seen this personally, but it does look like he has TB (mycobacterium). I was just doing a little research as well and it seems sometimes antibiotics can prolong the life of the fish, but in general, fish TB can not be cured. Probably not the response you were looking for, sorry

OP
I

Ian Tankers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TWiG87 said:
I haven’t seen this personally, but it does look like he has TB (mycobacterium). I was just doing a little research as well and it seems sometimes antibiotics can prolong the life of the fish, but in general, fish TB can not be cured. Probably not the response you were looking for, sorry
Is there any way to tell for sure? This is what the protrusion looks like. I was doing some research and haven’t found anything that looks like that specific lesion. I don’t want to have to start over and bleach all my stuff just yet.

Attachments

WhatsUpGuys

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ian Tankers said:
Is there any way to tell for sure? This is what the protrusion looks like. I was doing some research and haven’t found anything that looks like that specific lesion. I don’t want to have to start over and bleach all my stuff just yet.
Can you specify or circle what protrusion you’re talking about? I’m no expert but that fish looks relatively normal?

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TB can’t be cured but your tank and tank mates can be saved. Quarantine the infected fish, buy a green machine( ultraviolet disinfection thingy) which kills free swimming bacteria. I’ve had great success at only having three die when TB spread to three of my tanks. I’ll link the article on fish TB when I find it.
Also, only vinegar kills 100% of all TB bacteria, it’s what the hospitals use.

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Here it is. The important part is for you is page 10, which talks about dr Walstad having an outbreak of MB. But give the whole thing a read.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many disease present bent spine . Nutritional deficiency will cause bent spine .
I will go out on a limb and say not TB. It happens but not like most think .Be safe still regardless .
That being said nothing good comes from keeping sick fish .Especially if they are just exposing other fish to their issue .
besides free swimming [fish to fish] contact the largest transfer of disease occurs when other fish pick at and eat the dead /sick fish ..
In the case of columnaris which presents in several forms often a simple factor as old age can bring it on ..
Sorry about your fish ,I would remove him and keep a close eye on your other fish .

New Threads