Fish Tb? I Have Alot Going On I Dont Understand

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by D0bber, Jul 16, 2019.

1. D0bber

D0bberNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey everyone, I want to cut a long story short by going back a few months to when i discovered an infestation of snails in my tank thanks to some moss I bought. Then a few months later I seen some of my fish had callamanus worms. I treated them according to the medicine and it worked fine, or so I thought. A few weeks later and I seen a tetra with fungus and some more fish had white poop. I treated for external bacteria internal bacteria and internal parasites. I wasnt taking any chances at all and wanted the tank clear of whatever diseases were in it. So along the way ive lost at least a fish a week if not 1 every 2weeks. Tonight I examined all the fish for a long time to see if there was any marks or strange behaviour going on. Now I'll admit I havent given that tank enough attention in the last month due to work being crazy and me being a bit **** off with so many disease and alot of fish dead. But I do at least 50% water change every week and it has a good external filter on it. I havent missed a water change or neglected maintanince just i lost the heart to look at them and examine them every day like I used to. But I have pics of 2 tetras and a guppy that are not in good shape and wondering if its fish tb or maybe tetra disease? the guppy may have prolapse or something. I would appreciate every bit of help and advice possible on this as I want these guys to survive I have some gorgeous baby guppy and molly in there along with some that have survived this far since I started my fish journey. Again thanks in advance and here are the pics

Attached Files:

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +833
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What size is the tank and what are the stocking levels? Is it impacting only certain species?
    Guppies/mollies/swordtails and tetra species require very different water parameters. What are your water parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    D0bber

D0bberNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    so my parameters have been the same since i set up the tank about 3 years now, amonia nitrite and nitrate are all 0 or close to 0. the ph is 6.8 and no swings with it at all.
    Its a 200L tank with mollies swordtails tetra and guppies, 4 cory and a pleco. Its not over stocked at all especially since the callamanus worms claimed a few lives before i got to treat it. Id say ive 30 fish in total in it. Its effecting everyone bar the corys and pleco they seem fine and look fine. most of the rest have white poop and the 3 in the pics are the ones badly affected 2 tetra and a guppy. In Ireland we have always had neon tetra and skirt tetra in with livebearers for years and years. every petshop has them this way so id imagine thats why theres no problem with the water parameters cos there prob bred that way now but thats just my guess.

I must say tho that everyone was fine in the tank up until the callamanus worms. Ever since then stuff has been going wrong but im 100% sure that they are gone for the last few months since treatment. nothing new was added to the tank bar 2 cory which I had in another tank and there was never any disease or problems in that one.

4. lilirose

liliroseValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +204
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would guess either neon tetra disease or columnaris. It wouldn't be possible to tell for sure without sending a dead fish to a lab. I'm also in Ireland and I don't think that's possible here. Unfortunately both are contagious and neither is easily cured. You could create an environment that would optimise survival by providing better water conditions for the species you're keeping, as others have said.

Again, I live in Ireland too, and must say that "the pet shop does it like this" is not a good way to make decision as a home aqauarist. Pet shops are there to sell fish, not to keep them alive in the long term, so they throw together a tank that looks pretty and will encourage people to buy. If the fish in the display tank die, the shop can quickly and cheaply replace them from their own stock. As others have said, livebearers like guppies and mollies require very different water to tetras. Tetras like soft, acidic water and livebearers prefer hard, alkaline water.

5. OP
    OP
    D0bber

D0bberNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Ya my money would be on tetra disease but got stuff from America so itll sort out the tank. I don't go by what shops do but livebeares have been breed for years in ireland in our water with no problems. I do note that yes they would prefer alkaline hard water but I've never had a problem with what there in now. All my problems comes from buying fish that are not quarantined in the shop and even tho we do we still end up with disease and worms. But once the tank is sorted I can finally sort out the 50 baby guppy and molly that I have. Thanks for the reply tho. Really wished I lived in america just for the hobby. Next step a microscope is gonna be bought.