Fish TB actually very common - read D. Walstad article!

1. jileha Well Known Member Member

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I read that article and it almost makes me want to not keep fish. However, I will take my chances and keep an eye on my fish. I will also be more hesitant about bringing new fish into my existing tanks.
    Thanks for the read! :)

3. LunaSky Member Member

Sadly, one of my tanks have been infected with TB. I tried to fix the problem by cleaning out the tank but my fish are still popping off one after the other. Good news it, I have been careful and have not caught fish TB myself. I have no choice but to wait for my fish to succumb to the disease. I will keep my fish alive and as healthy as possible. So far only two other fish are showing the symptoms so they are in a different tank but this is not stopping the disease like I had hoped it would. The good news it, I know what store the disease has came from and they are now aware of the problem and have closed off and quarantined their section. I went there just a couple of days ago to see this had happened and I am glad to see that they actually care.

4. TheBettaBar Well Known Member Member

From my understanding, it's a bit like marine ich-present pretty much all the time in the wild, only able to really compromise a fish in our stressful, overly sterilized closed environments. It's why keeping a "dirty" tank full of naturally occurring bacteria is one of the only strategies for keeping mycos under control.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Interesting: thanks for sharing

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry to hear about your situation. This has happened to me several times, and it's rough, but yes, a tank can actually live on for some years like this if you keep it very clean. The toughest part I've found is the question of diminished shoals. Those fish who survive as carriers get really freaked out about not having enough buddies, but I don't want to put any new fish in there because then we have to see if those guys will contract the disease and die or else be able to live with it, too.

That's especially good that your LFS quarantined that section. I hope they are able to get it cleaned up.

7. sha4000 Member Member

Reall good article to help you understand causes of this disease.

Tags: