Fish tanks easy to make?

lonehunter

Real talk is a fish tank really just glass and silicone and maybe a rim do you even need any equipment to make one would it be way cheaper just making one with custom glass cuts and silicone

Frank the Fish guy

I just built one.

You need to buy glass from a real glass shop (not hardware store). I used 1/4" thick glass panels. I Built an odd shaped 45 gallon tank.

Glass cost me $150. Silicone costs about $20. Then you need a bottle of acetone, and a bunch of rags, and razorblades.

The reason to do this as a custom job is to get a tank dimension that you cannot buy. You will break even on cost if you try to build a standard dimension tank. Not worth it for a standard dimension tank IMHO.

Two person job. You need a garage. Makes a big mess with the silicone. Use the correct silicone gun.

I used GE #1 silicone. OK for aquariums.

Needs to sit for 1 week to cure.

veggieshark

I would think that alignment of the glass is key to successful bonding, and it is not a trivial task.

JettsPapa

lonehunter said:
Real talk is a fish tank really just glass and silicone and maybe a rim do you even need any equipment to make one would it be way cheaper just making one with custom glass cuts and silicone
Looking at the reply from Frank the Fish guy I'd say the answer is no.

Frank the Fish guy

You need a good practiced hand to lay down a consistent bead. You need to have no gaps in silicone.

Put down two panels to make a corner on the bottom first and let that cure overnight BEFORE moving on to the rest. That gives you a square corner to start with.

Use a square to make sure the panels are square.

Tape the panels while they are curing.

If you try to assemble in one step it will fall apart.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom