Fish Tanks All Over The House - Should I Build A Fish Room?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by IHaveADogToo, Jun 26, 2018.

1. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Personally, I do like having fish tanks in every room of the house, but apparently this is off putting to people who aren't me. At my house, I have 6 fish tanks containing livestock right now. Yes, that sentence does imply I have more tanks that don't have livestock in them right now. That is true, I do.

I live alone in a second floor condominium. A condo, for those of you who don't know, is basically just an apartment that you buy instead of rent. So, when thinking in terms of space and layout, think of my place like an apartment. Just, realize, I own the place, so if something gets messed up or breaks, it's my responsibility as the homeowner to take care of it. There is no landlord to call when my garbage disposal gets clogged with aquarium sand.

It's a 2 bedroom condo. I have been using the second bedroom as an office & storage area, but I'll be honest, it's pretty much just a room I never go into. So I'm thinking it might make a nice fish room.

Currently, in my living room I have my 20 long Axolotl tank. The walkway between the living room and dinging room houses my 29 gallon community tank. In my dining room I have 2 10 gallon species tanks (pea puffers, and shell dwellers). In my bedroom I have my 20 high betta sorority and my 10 gallon male betta & ADF tank. I have 2 nano (less than 3 gallon) tanks in my kitchen, one of which is a hospital/quarantine tank, and the other is for culturing snails to feed to my puffers. There's actually no tank at all in the spare bedroom right now, which is the room I'm considering turning into a fish room. So basically, even though I have a whole lot of tanks, they're all smaller tanks, with my largest being 29 gallons.

I find myself watching the tanks in my living room and dining room a lot, but rarely ever watch the tanks in my bedroom. I mean, I do check on those tanks multiple times a day, and since they're in my bedroom I do look at them in the morning and at night, but I don't just sit and watch them like I do the tanks out in my living room and dining room.

Like I said, my spare bedroom / office area is a room I just never use or go into. So I have this extra room. But I feel like if I were to make it into a fish room, I would neglect my fish. The room in itself is very out of sight, out of mind. Since the room is practically empty and unused, I have been considering making it a fish room, but I question how much time I would actually spend in that room if it were.

So I want to talk to people who have fish rooms. How much time do you actually spend enjoying your fish room? Do you sit and watch the tanks in your fish room very often? Or do you feel like you would spend more time watching your tanks if they weren't in a fish room? Do you keep any fish tanks in your main living space even though you have a fish room? Has it worked out well keeping your fish space and your living space separate, or do you wish you could just go back to having a few tanks scattered around the house? If I do turn this spare bedroom into a fish room, what can I do encourage myself to actually spend time in that room? How can I make a fish room inviting, and a room I want to hang out in, other than by having a bunch of cool fish in it?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

I don't have a fish room but if I did I would put a couch or something in it to hang out and enjoy the fish on.

3. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

I thought about that. A couch, or a recliner or something. Then I thought, “a TV would encourage me to spend time in there”. But at that point I might as well just keep my tanks in my living room

4. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

Lol. Yeah. Maybe turn that room into a living room and the living room to a fish room.

5. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Man, it's your place, if you like it with the tanks everywhere don't worry about what other people think. Set it up in a manner that makes you happy.

6. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Gosh, IHaveADogToo...I feel like I wrote this post. I am going through the same dilemma. I have a 29G and a 55G on each end of my sofa in my family room. I also have a 20L on the bar above the other sofa. In my kitchen, which is open to the family room, I have my 5G Betta tank on a red cabinet stand. I also have a 10G nursery tank in the kitchen which is temporary. Then there’s my pond on the patio. My hubbie doesn’t mind, but my grown kids keep telling me to move the tanks to an extra bedroom I have. I never go in there though and feel my fish will feel I deserted them. The house is clean and only 5 years old so why does it bug my kids so? Not trying to hijack your post but I’d like to see the suggestions/ideas also. Has anyone conquered this issue? Personally, I feel we should be able to display our hobbies just as an artist would display their paintings or a ball player may display his trophies.

7. TRAILRIDER

TRAILRIDER Valued Member Member

I also like having tanks in every room : ) But then I like having my dogs and cats in every room too. My parrot lives in the dining room and is sometimes out on my shoulder.
    If I had a dedicated fish room, I would enjoy it more if I had some comfortable sitting spots.....and snacks : ) And I would probably take the door off its hinges to encourage me or others to wander in there.

8. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

You answered that question yourself in the first two paragraphs...
    “ I do like having fish tanks in every room in the house...” and then “I own the place.” You do you.
    PERSONALLY, I would never have a fish room, no offense to those who do if that’s what they like. Some say it’s just easier to keep all supplies together and not lug it around tank to tank throughout the house. I get that, but I would find it much more enjoyable seeing the tanks spread out wherever I go. Maybe even above the toilet?

9. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

In defense of the fish room, I feel like economically it makes sense. Right now I run several air pumps. In a fish room I can run one pump, and save on electricity. I can also set up some pretty sturdy shelving and fit more tanks. And we all enjoy more tanks!

But for real, who wants to go hang out in the cramped back bedroom when I have a sectional and vaulted ceilings in the living room?

10. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

Make tank racks in the living room. stack em 2-3 tanks high :D
    I told my wife i wanted to do the same with the office, she says ' no one else can see them'
    So? hardly anyone comes over... why put in the living room for other people not here?
    Next step is moving some of her furniture out of the office:emoji_fish:

+1, If living in a condo isn't already bad enough ... whats next someone doesn't like your clothes or haircut?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

I can go higher

12. TRAILRIDER

As for saving on electricity...many years ago when I worked in a fish room with about 150 tanks, we kept the room temp at 78 degrees and never had to use heaters in any tanks. I think that was a money saver there.

13. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Yeah, you could also run multiple tanks off of one airpump with sponge filters.

14. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve had fish rooms. Twice. After the first, I said I’d never do that again. Then I did. Both times it was easier to take of the tanks. Easier to keep everything together. But. Easier to accidentally use a net in a different tank. Forget to wash my hands between tanks. And, here’s the biggie, other than checking and maintaining the tanks, I was rarely there. Oh sure. People, rarely, came over and Look, here’s my fish room!. After feeling guilty and stupid, again, I put them where I needed them. In my space. My newest project, forty long, is behind my couch which divides the living/dining room. So it’s a 360 tank. Sure I can’t see them but I can talk to them. :)
    Like the others, do for you.

15. TRAILRIDER

We did that too. the only filtration on the freshwater tanks was triangular sponge filters...I guess biological filtration if its not interrupted is a good system.

16. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

THIS is why I'm afraid to build a fish room. I know me. I would be the same way.

17. TRAILRIDER

After this thread I am thinking about 30 gallon in my living room across from my 75. I was going to do a hexagon in my bedroom...but it will be seen more in the living room.

18. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I have two empty bed rooms on the other side of the house just screaming two fish rooms, two fish rooms and the wife screaming back Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

19. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Well... why not have both? :D Your favorite tanks can be on display in different rooms, and you can have even more tanks in the back

20. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

I had this idea too! It would certainly be nice to get my puffer food tank and quarantine tank out of sight. I might end up doing this, honestly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice