Fish Tank suggestions

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 10 gallon tank and i would love to know what fish can live in their happily. i am willing to take care of something hard or maby something way to easy. if you tell me about a fish please tell me much inf about it. my 10 gallon is fully cycled and has 6 fake plants. it isrectangular and long and has no fish in it whatso ever.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
10 gallon is rather small but there are several fish you could choose from, have you read the fish profiles on this forum, there is lost of great info, including tank siz, feeding, compatability, adult fish size, interesting fish behavior and care level...i would start there
best of luck

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to FishLore samamr

You can start off with something like a single betta. He would love the space and it would be such a low bioload that it would be low maintenance and easy to care for. The biggest problem people have with bettas though is that you shouldn't really mix them with any other fish. If you don't like that, maybe a school of a type of fish that stay small like tetras. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on what to do with the 10 gallon lol. Enjoy the site

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi!

A ten gallon tank would be good for some schooling fish, such as neons tetras... or similarly sized fish.

Or... You could have a Betta! There are some catfish that work well with them, such as otos or cories. However, you should have a group of them. IMO, you tank may be overstocked by doing this...

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There are literally TONS of things you could do with a 10 gallon. What are you thinking of? What stuff do you like? Are you interested to see if you could have babies (and if so, what kinds of babys?).

You could do my favorite: FROGS! You could get 4 ADFs (african dwarf frogs) and probably you would get lucky and get eggs and grow out some tads

You could have a srimp tank.

You could have a guppy tank and breed some guppys.

You could get one ACF (african clawed frog) they are little piggys and fun to watch, and feed

You could get a few snails and grow out a clutch of baby snails.

You could do so many things...these are just things that interest me.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kupcake said:
You could have a srimp tank.
Great suggestion. I've never owned them, but I hear about how much people LOVE their red cherry shrimp (RCS) tanks. I'm sure they're great to watch in a heavily planted tank. Not sure, but maybe you can even put a couple fish with them also...

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks guys. i lve everyones suggestions but is there and fish that looks mean and would eat visiosly tha could fit in a 10 gal. i was just wondering

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't go with a betta unless you are ready for him to be in there by himself. Most people that start up a new tank like adding more than just a solitary fish, so if you see yourself wanting to add more than one fish then steer away from the betta idea.

Some bettas work with other fish, but it's not something worth gambling on, especially if you don't have the ability to move the fish around into other tanks.

There are plenty of options for a 10 gallon, with the exception of all these micro tanks that have been coming out. When I was growing up, it seemed like anyone who had fish tanks always had at least a 10 gallon set up somewhere.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A dwarf puffer? I've never kept one, as they are banned for sale in australia, but from what I've heard, people like theirs. I think they are fine to live in a 5 gallon, so a 10 gallon would be heaven for them

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 to yallyall you could probably get away with a couple of dwarf puffers in a 10, i've kept a pair of them before without issue but I don't know if that is common.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jetajockey said:
+1 to yallyall you could probably get away with a couple of dwarf puffers in a 10, i've kept a pair of them before without issue but I don't know if that is common.
From everything I have read this is not recommended. I have heard maybe in a 55 or something rather large with lots of territory, but not a 10. Glad it worked for you and there were no problems though.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

kribensis keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i would suggest a small group of neons and a few corys

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kupcake said:
From everything I have read this is not recommended. I have heard maybe in a 55 or something rather large with lots of territory, but not a 10. Glad it worked for you and there were no problems though.
If I am not mistaken, I think that for dwarf puffers it is 5 gallon minimum, unless you are reffering to a normal puffer...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kupcake said:
Plenty of people have 2 dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon. It has to be very heavily planted, though.

I saw someone recommend cories. I personally wouldn't put them in a 10, but that's just my opinion.

I love the idea of 2 Dwarf Puffers in a 10, personally, and Sam, you'll like the way they eat.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yallyall1 said:
If I am not mistaken, I think that for dwarf puffers it is 5 gallon minimum, unless you are reffering to a normal puffer...
Ya, dwarf puffers are 5 gallon, but I thought that I read somewhere that they couldnt be housed together because of severe aggression, and if they were housed together you would need a huge tank. Guess I was mistaken. My bad.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It says you already have a common pleco, bala shark, and a mini goldfish in the 10 gallon. The bala shark will get huge and should be kept in a giant tank. The common pleco will get over a foot long and needs a 55 gallon at a minimum. Depending on the goldfish, they need 20 gallons and 55 gallons for other types.

But like others have said a 10 gallon has many options for stocking.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fishingman001 said:
It says you already have a common pleco, bala shark, and a mini goldfish in the 10 gallon. The bala shark will get huge and should be kept in a giant tank. The common pleco will get over a foot long and needs a 55 gallon at a minimum. Depending on the goldfish, they need 20 gallons and 55 gallons for other types.

But like others have said a 10 gallon has many options for stocking.
The original post says the tank is empty. I think the aquarium info just isn't updated.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The original post says the tank is empty. I think the aquarium info just isn't updated.
Oh. I thought the OP put fish in it since the first post. That's good that the tank doesn't have those fish in it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads