Fish Tank Stocking Ideas?

McGlugger

I'm a teacher and I have a 57ish gallon tank setup in my classroom. So far I have 2 Dwarf Gouramis and 2 Angelfish. I'm just looking for recommendations for what else I can get, I'll probably end up getting a couple of catfish of some sort, but besides that does anybody have any good ideas? I thought about getting a blue ram but I'm just not sure. I want to get as much variety as I can in this tank since its for my classroom.

FishArePetsNotObjects

In my experience I think it would be best to stick with either gouramis angles as they can get aggressive.

McGlugger

Also - There is a mark on one of my dwarf gouramis that looks redish brown. It doesn't look like an abscess or anything, but if it is Dwarf Gourami Disease, how long will it take for it to develop, and are there any steps I can take to prevent my other one from catching the disease?
In my experience I think it would be best to stick with either gouramis angles as they can get aggressive.
so just stock with those 2 species? I know they can get somewhat aggressive depending on what they are living with. I thought about doing just the 2 for simplicity

FishArePetsNotObjects

Also - There is a mark on one of my dwarf gouramis that looks redish brown. It doesn't look like an abscess or anything, but if it is Dwarf Gourami Disease, how long will it take for it to develop, and are there any steps I can take to prevent my other one from catching the disease?

so just stock with those 2 species? I know they can get somewhat aggressive depending on what they are living with. I thought about doing just the 2 for simplicity
Just pick wither angles or dwaft gouramjs. DGD is genetic as far as I know and there is no cure

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum. Since you asked, here's what I'd recommend.
  • Take the dwarf gouramis back to the store. See My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius - Aquarium Article, written by jinjerJOSH22, one of our resident gourami experts.
  • You can keep both angels, but watch them closely in case one of them gets aggressive toward the other. Have a plan to take one out if that happens.
  • I wouldn't recommend German Blue rams. They need higher temperatures to thrive than most commonly kept fish, and while the angels would probably be okay with it, it limits your other stocking options, and they really aren't beginner friendly fish.
  • I'd add a good sized group (twelve or so) of a shoaling fish like tetras or rasboras. I'm a big fan of serpae tetras, black neon tetras, and lemon tetras, but there are many good options. Keep in mind that this is twelve or so of a single species, not mixed.
  • I'd also add eight or so of a single species of Corydoras for the bottom. There are many good options out there. Corydoras trilineatus (commonly sold as julii corys) is probably my favorite, and has done well for me.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom