Question Fish tank stocking. Help needed quick!!

Marissa.knuf

Reaction score
hello! I started up a lightly planted “community” tank many months ago. the tank is very established and i’ve had no troubles with the fish. so far i’ve intentionally kept the stocking very lowe just so the fish would be happy with no worries of overcrowding at all.
right now it has:
•5 cory cats
•3 scissor tail rasboras
•1 sword tail molly

the tank has had an apparent algae problem. it’s nothing extremely bad but i’ve decided to try to take action and stop it. I was thinking some of that liquid that claims to stops algae. also I was going to get an algae eater. most likely a pleco, but i’m well aware that typically plecos are far too large. what kind do you guys think would be the best for this tank? I currently have a snail and i’ve had him for months but he doesn’t seem to do a whole lot with the algae. the tank has drift wood so there’s no worries about the pleco. again it’s a 40 gallon breeder, and what kind of pleco would be best for this set up?

Snailerator

Reaction score
Marissa.knuf said:
hello! I started up a lightly planted “community” tank many months ago. the tank is very established and i’ve had no troubles with the fish. so far i’ve intentionally kept the stocking very lowe just so the fish would be happy with no worries of overcrowding at all.
right now it has:
•5 cory cats
•3 scissor tail rasboras
•1 sword tail molly

the tank has had an apparent algae problem. it’s nothing extremely bad but i’ve decided to try to take action and stop it. I was thinking some of that liquid that claims to stops algae. also I was going to get an algae eater. most likely a pleco, but i’m well aware that typically plecos are far too large. what kind do you guys think would be the best for this tank? I currently have a snail and i’ve had him for months but he doesn’t seem to do a whole lot with the algae. the tank has drift wood so there’s no worries about the pleco. again it’s a 40 gallon breeder, and what kind of pleco would be best for this set up?
So usually with algae it's more about an imbalance in the ecosystem. It's ok, I add algae eaters, but it's better to get to the root of the problem. Planting heavily with lots of fast growing stem plants really help with stopping algae because that use up the nutrients instead of algae. Also, overfeeding could cause algae.

1. What size is your tank?
We need that to properly advise on what algae eater to get.
2. Could we see a pic?
3. What is your lighting schedule?
4. Is your tank in a window?

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Marissa.knuf said:
right now it has:
•5 cory cats
•3 scissor tail rasboras
•1 sword tail molly

If I were you I'd get some more snails. And you need at least 1 more cory cat and more rasboras

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First I would find the cause of the algae problem, fix it, then get something that you would personally enjoy don’t get something to fix a problem. If it were me, I would get a bristle nose pleco. Also your tank still has lots of space, good job at being cautious

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What size is the tank? Is it in front of a window?
It be a good idea to increase the number of rasboras to about 6 as the very least and at at least 1 more cory for proper schooling behavior.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kdizzle said:
What size is the tank? Is it in front of a window?
It be a good idea to increase the number of rasboras to about 6 as the very least and at at least 1 more cory for proper schooling behavior.
It’s a 40

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Algae is almost always due to not enough plants, too much light, too many nutrients.

1: Cut back the light. If its near a window, move it. 6 hours a day is more than enough.

As for your stock, if this is a 40 gallon you can add a TON more fish, and I would. Your Corys and Rasboras want much larger schools. Your Molly would probably be happier with friends.

New Threads