Fish Tank Size Decision... Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by AlexAlex, Dec 17, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I will be upgrading from my 75 Gallon to a much bigger tank. I have been researching and attempting to make a decision on what size, etc.

This is my scenario of options and what I need to know -

I have my 75 Gallon where my upgrade will be. It's pretty sturdy where it is. The only thing is, the level of the water is very slightly going towards the back of the tank making the water level just a hair lower on the front side. Would it balance out or at least a little bit with a wider fish tank? It's 18" Wide now, but the ones I have been interested in are 24" Wide, but around 4-10 inches taller. But, the stand would be only 24" tall (The one I have now is a custom made 36" stand, which is too tall IMO).

I saw some square fish tanks (around 36" x 36" x 25") too, but not sure about those. Never had one.

All in all, what scenario is best? Tall and not so wide? Short and wide?

Note: It is the Mbuna tank. I have heard longer is better for some fish. Not sure about the Mbunas, though, on that specific part.

And - Acrylic vs. Glass vs. Starphire Glass?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Alex :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Longer is always better for Mbuna.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Longer is definitely better.

You can get mixture on glass (starphire is the front glass and regular glass for the other three sides).

4. OP
    OP
    A

Since longer is better - How about the width (not the length, but how far it comes out from the wall)?

5. RogueAgent94

Min width for Mbunas is like 1.5ft but I'd go with as wide and long as possible. Height isn't a huge factor for them.

6. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks, AP & Rogue! :)

7. OP
    OP
    A

I need some help - Which one is best?

What I have now: 75 Gallon - 48L x 18W x 21T

These are my options for the room I have:

95 Gallon (4 Wide) - 48L x 24W x 17T
    120 Gallon - 48L x 24W x 25T
    125 Gallon Tall - 60L x 18W x 25T

It'll have to be one of those three. The website I am getting it from is a custom fish tank website.

The fish tank stands and canopies are pure Oak Wood.

8. RogueAgent94

I'd go with the 120. It's wider and gives you more room to make larger rockwork for the Mbuna. But I do like the length of the 125... :)

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glass vs Acrylic links above.

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    A

I was thinking the 120 for more floor stability and for the purpose of rocks as you stated. And yes, I like the length of the 125, but it would still be thin.

I have 18" Width now, so I wanted something wider. It is cheaper for the 120 than the 125 because of the length differences. And, if I get the 120, I can still use my lights as the custom tank and stand do not come with that - only the lids.

Ken - I definitely (even more so now after reading those links) will go with glass over acrylic.

11. Aquarist

Hi Alex,

I'm glad the links helped you to make a decision. I prefer glass myself.

Ken

12. OP
    OP
    A

I definitely now want glass. I'm going to see if I can get a custom tank that is still 48" in length but even wider than 24", because I really want the Width more than the length (somewhat), because it will not wobble as much with that kind of width.

13. Aquarist

Alex,

I see a 120g High 48x24x24

150g Extra High 48x24x30

Maybe something along those lines?

Ken

14. OP
    OP
    A

That 150 EH is sure gonna be a pain to clean! lol

15. Aquarist

teehee :)

All you need is a step stool and XL gravel vacuum and 36" long Tongs. :) My 265g is 30" tall and even on the step stool I can't reach the bottom with my hand and not fall in. lol :)

Ken

16. OP
    OP
    A

LOL! My Mbunas might like me falling in with them! Not sure if my Cats would, though.

I can get a custom tank made, but with extra costs. I think it may be worth it. The best for me would be something along the lines of this:

60"L x 30"W x 18"H (The best size for what room I have) - This would be around a 140 Gallon Tank, I believe. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice