Fish Tank(s) in Yard

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Dom90, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

So I'm wondering if I kept a fish tank or two on shelves outside with a heater, will the fish die if the ambient temperature got too cold. Would my heater be able to handle this? Hypothetical situation. That way I could possibly keep more fish tanks in the future. The tanks would be completely away from being hit by direct sunlight, in the far corner of the patio so I don't really see algae as an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

I think a pond would work best in your scenario :)

3. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hmm, about that... I don't think the wife would be too thrilled about that idea lol. Sorry if it's a misconception but aren't ponds for bigger goldfish or koi?

4. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

5. rebexy

rebexyNew MemberMember

Omggg, that first one pictured. What a dream.

6. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

Ponds could work for many things pending on your climate. Most people in the us do koi and goldfish because they can hibernate under ice in the winter whereas most tropical fish would just die.

7. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well I live in Southern California if that makes a difference. Coldest I have seen in the winter is about 45 degrees during the night. So just wondering if tropical fish could withstand such conditions with a heater in the tank.

8. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I would say as long as the heater has an adjustable temperature and algae is not a problem then yes. I've never kept a tank outside, but I know SoCal weather and you're fine. Maybe keep an extra heater around in case it gets too cold (like our 45 degree winters! Brrrr!!!!)

9. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It would be in a corner closest to the house under a fully enclosed patio so I dont think algae will be a problem. Thanks for the tip about having an additional heater. I only buy adjustable heaters, I dont believe in those presets, dont think they are even working sometimes lol.

10. Blk69Valued MemberMember

I currently have a guppy pond, around 100 gal. It is basically a galvanized steel water trough about 4' long, 2' wide and 3' tall. Have a water lilly, cat tails and few other small plants. All plants are potted, trough is bare bottom (easy to clean).

I will pull my fish inside when water temp gets below 65 deg. You should be good in SCal and a heater. Ponds are definialy not just for goldfish and Kio. Not sure how much space you have but a nice 4 by 8 above ground pond can be made fairly easly from 4X4's and a rubber liner. Put a few chairs around it and can really add to your outdoor d├ęcor.

11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

How do you control algae in a pond though? I was actually going to buy one of those steel racks at Lowe's and put multiple tanks on the rack under a patio.

12. Dadio

Controlling algae is making sure you give good balance to your pond.

1) Location - finding the right spot or adapting the spot
    2) Protection from predators

High sun locations are the major problem so either provide shade with planted trees, trellis or other to your liking. Pond tint is also helpful in keeping blooms away and also keeping the pond cooler than the ambient temperature. My pond can reach over 30 Celsius if I did not provide the shading I do.

In regards to housing an aquarium outdoors for tropical keeping it is quite possible in your region providing you also use a good heater in case it drops. I would highly suggest using an inline heater as it will be much better in providing a solid temp required.

13. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'll look into an inline heater. Never used one before though.

14. Dadio

They are much better as it keeps the water temp where you want it right at the outflow rather than trying to keep it controlled with flow around the heater.

15. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

Generally you'll be able to safely hold a 10F increase with every 5wpg. That being said, insulation is your friend with an outdoor setup. Heat rises, some styro to cover the tops for colder periods will help, as will a bit of insulation for the sides. I've run a 150 gallon tub outdoors with 1kw of heat when it was 30F & snowing. Some moving blankets taped to the sides, a 2" thick sheet of styro on top, holding 90F was no problem if you ignore the electric bill.

16. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

An algae free pond ? Algae if controlled is you and your fishes best friend :) the most effective way to control blooms I've found is a UV sterilizer.

17. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

How so?

18. Dadio

As stated above. This greatly helps keep major blooms away. I run a 75W clairifier/sterilizer on my upper pond that feeds the stream and change the bulb every season. The upper pond is a bio filter on it's own which increases the bio filtration 4 times over giving my main pond a down stream of filtered water. Even my stream is part of the filtration process to the main basin of 3200g.

But if your pond is in high sun without other elements taken into consideration then algae will be your worst enemy. I've seen a small 250g pond look like a bowl of mussy fermented rice noodles with one sole fish flopping in the middle of it, poor goldie.

So when putting aquariums or making ponds outdoors there's a few things to do to avoid that sorta mess or other. Here's an example of with all the precautions I put in place that at the present time and climate up here I've added pond-tint to the water. This does 2 things, keeps temps lower as the pond base is dark black it also increases the heating of the water naturally with every moment the sun touches the water and when direct sun hits crystal clear water it's magnified and in my case too warm of water is not good for koi, so that assures me the water is kept cooler for one and it also is an algae deterrent for 2.

My pond rocks do have a green algae covering which is totally fine and normal to have. That's the good stuff, it's the other we all don't want. The important factor of any uv unit is the contact time, the more the contact, the better it works.

If I was putting an outdoor aquarium outside and if I could not keep it out of direct sun then I'd invest in a good uv unit and give it the best surrounding of diffused sunlight making it a focal point of conversation or meditation.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  19. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

My outdoor aquarium would in the inner corner of the yard under a patio. Will take picture when I get home.

20. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I am scraping this idea completely as I was observing today where and when the sun hits the patio area. Turns out the sun hits the place where I had in mind for outdoor tank for at least a good hour or so. Not sure if this would cause a big problem with light imbalance so I'd rather not risk it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice