Fish Tank In A Mobile Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sknowbelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey! So I have a betta, and we're planning to get a nice mobile home and to travel around the united States for awhile. And we plan to bring him with since, well, he can't stay we're selling the house. And my question is, how would i make sure he doesn't end up belly-up the next morning due to being on the road? Ive been trying to look into it but I haven't found much..

And it seems we plan on going to a bunch of different places so I doubt We'd be still for long.

I've spent waaay too much time trying to nurse this poor fish back to health after he got sick when I first got him, so obviously the last thing I want is for him to end up dead.

So, here's what I know so far: I probably don't want his tank filled all the way up so water doesn't go all over the place. Need to find a way to power his filter and heater while we're moving. And obviously I need to somehow prevent his water from being sloshed around / vibrated(?) as that's probably going to be the main thing stressing him out.

M mom suggested somehow having the tank suspended, but i have no idea how we'd do that or if it would even work.

So, got any ideas?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To be honest, I think the fish is best of being rehomed. Bettas are relative sedate, especially the long finned males. They need minimal flow and I do not think your boy will be able to withstand being sloshed around while on the road. He won't be able to have and hard decor or fake plants in the tank in case they fall over and/or snag his fins.

You'd have to have a decent sized tank to keep him happy, so let's say 5gals. The top must have access to open air as bettas are labyrinth breathers. So a sealed lid is a no-go. I cannot think of anything to keep the water in the tank w/o an air tight seal.

As for the heater, that would need to plugged into an outlet but here are battery operated air pumps so a sponge filter is possible.

Another thing to consider is the water source. The pH and hardness must stay the same as fluctuation parameters lead to stress, and stress leads to disease. Sure you can use bottled water but half the time there are addatives "for taste" and if it is reverse osmosis water you'd need to re-mineralize during each and every water change.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but I think it is more trouble that it's worth. One way or another I think the fish will end up being stressed.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To be honest, I think the fish is best of being rehomed. Bettas are relative sedate, especially the long finned males. They need minimal flow and I do not think your boy will be able to withstand being sloshed around while on the road. He won't be able to have and hard decor or fake plants in the tank in case they fall over and/or snag his fins.

You'd have to have a decent sized tank to keep him happy, so let's say 5gals. The top must have access to open air as bettas are labyrinth breathers. So a sealed lid is a no-go. I cannot think of anything to keep the water in the tank w/o an air tight seal.

As for the heater, that would need to plugged into an outlet but here are battery operated air pumps so a sponge filter is possible.

Another thing to consider is the water source. The pH and hardness must stay the same as fluctuation parameters lead to stress, and stress leads to disease. Sure you can use bottled water but half the time there are addatives "for taste" and if it is reverse osmosis water you'd need to re-mineralize during each and every water change.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but I think it is more trouble that it's worth. One way or another I think the fish will end up being stressed.
agree, sometimes its sad but best for the fish. Maybe a relative can take him?

OP
Sknowbelle

Sknowbelle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

I do see your point here, I definitely don't want him to be stressed out. I have to work out something though, maybe even if that is re-homing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom